Mix 1 cup almond flour, ½ cup each of pumpkin, sunflower and flax seeds, 2 tbsp Chia seeds and Maca powder, ½ tsp sea salt and cinnamon in a bowl. In a pan, heat ¼ cup coconut oil, honey and 1/3 cup peanut butter until smooth. Mix with bowl. Add ¼ cup shredded coconut and goji berries. Press the dough in a tray with parchment paper and freeze for 45 mins.
Snack time can be a big struggle for people who are on a diet. Mid-afternoon slumps at work cause energy dips, which lead you to search for something to re-energize the body. Maybe you reach for a bag of chips, a few cookies or whatever you can find in the vending machine, but snack breaks, typically involve packaged, processed foods.
These snack breaks may not seem harmful, but over time, the amount of excess calories, sugar, and trans fat can wreak havoc on your body. Unhealthy snacks typically lead to binge eating, with a small handful of chips somehow turning into an entire bag full. The key to avoiding the snack time binge is to always be prepared.
If you find yourself falling captive to the mid-afternoon snack binge, then come prepared with a way to fight back. Simply put, always have a healthy snack option available. Want a quick and healthy snack? Try these Maca Superfood Energy Bars. Bursting with super foods, the real star in this recipe is the Maca powder, a nutrient-rich powder that provides vitamins and minerals, essential fatty acids and proteins along with a kick of energy.
Alongside Maca are Chia seeds, coconut oil and Goji berries, all of which provide health benefits. From vital omega-3 fatty acids to an energy boost, these Maca Superfood Bars have everything you need in a snack.
Maca Superfood Energy Bars Recipe:
Made with wholesome, nutritious ingredients and zero refined-sugar, these energy bars are gluten-free and dairy free.
Makes 8 bars.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, unsalted
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds, ground
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons Maca powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup Goji berries
1. In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, Chia seeds, flaxseeds, Maca powder, sea salt and cinnamon.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil, honey and peanut butter until melted and smooth. 2. Pour the peanut butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
3. Stir to combine.
4. Add in the shredded coconut and goji berries. Mix.
5. In an 8×8 dish that has been lined with parchment paper, press in the bar dough.
6. Place in the freezer to set for 45 minutes.
7. Remove the bars from the freezer and cut into either 8 bars or smaller squares.
8. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- If you don’t have almond flour, just use roasted almonds and process them into fine bits. Don’t over process or you will end up with almond butter
- The shredded coconut and goji berries are simply optional additions. Add whatever additions you like. Try cacao nibs or dried fruit bits for a tropical taste
- Try maple syrup instead of raw honey as a sweetener