Saute crumbled tofu, 1 clove garlic and 1 green onion in a large pan, on medium heat for 1 min. Add 15 oz black beans, 1 diced medium tomato, a handful of spinach, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp lime juice and mix. Cook for another min, season with salt and pepper. Add in 1/4 cup cheese, a handful cilantro and cook for 3 min. Top with crunchy onions.
During this time of year, we’re all staying warm and spending time with friends and loved ones over warming meals. But, we’re also looking for healthier options, which is why this Latin Style Tofu Scramble is a great way to enjoy a warm and tasty breakfast or brunch while also filling up with healthy goodies!
Latin Style Tofu Scramble Recipe
- 1 large block of firm tofu, pressed, drained and cubed or crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (whites and greens)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 1 heaping handful spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cumin, to taste
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon turmeric, to taste and add color
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup vegan cheese, shredded
- 1 heaping handful cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crunchy onions or vegan bacon bits, for topping
- In a large pan, saute the tofu, garlic, onions for about 1 minute over medium heat.
- Add in the beans, tomato, spinach, cumin, turmeric and lime juice and mix well.
- Cook for about another minute, season with salt and pepper.
- And in the cheese and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes for the flavors to combine.
- Add in the cilantro in the last 30 seconds of cooking.
- Top with crunchy onions and/or vegan bacon bits and enjoy.