Stand erect with feet comfortably apart. Stretch out arms to the sides, palms facing upwards. Inhaling for 3 secs, lean slightly back. Exhaling for 3 secs, bend down, lowering left arm and raising right arm straight up. Left hand should touch right toe. Hold this position, suspending breath for 6 secs. Return back to first position as you inhale, alternate and repeat.
- Stand erect with feet 24 inches apart and parallel.
- Stretch out arms to the sides, palms facing upwards.
- Inhaling for 3 seconds, lean slightly backwards.
- Exhaling for 3 seconds, bend down, lowering left arm and raising the right arm straight up.
- Left hand should touch the right toe.
- Stay in this position, suspending the breath for 6 seconds.
- While inhaling return back to your original position (step 2).
- Repeat this gently on the other side.
Tips to remember
- In the final position, both the hands should be in a straight line to avoid any undue strain to the neck//back.
- Do not overstretch in an attempt to reach the toes. Touch the ankles if you cannot touch your toes.
Benefits Of Konasana
- Increases spinal flexibility.
- Helps in toning arms and legs.
- Stretches the side of the body and relieves muscular pains in the area.
Avoid konasana if you are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Severe cardiac problems
- Severe back ache
- High blood pressure