Low in carbs, high in fat, and loaded with many health benefits, the ketogenic diet is helping thousands of people lose weight efficiently, and it will help you too. All that you needed to know about ketogenic diet is right here.
What Is Ketogenic Diet?
Often referred to as keto, this diet is extremely low in carbs. It involves drastically reducing the carbohydrate intake by replacing it with healthy fats. This diet puts your body in a metabolic state called ketosis state.
Ketogenic Food Pyramid
In ketogenic state, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fats for energy, and also turn fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for brain.
Various Types of Ketogenic Diets
1.Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD)
- Low in carb (5%)
- Moderate protein (20%)
- High in fat (75%)
2.Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD)
- High-carb refeeds
- 5 ketogenic days
- 2 high carb days
3.Targeted Ketogenic Diet
Allows you to add carbs around workouts
4.High-protein Ketogenic Diet
- 60% fat
- 35% protein
- 5% carbs
Foods to Eat
- Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken, and turkey
- Fatty fishes: Salmon, trout, and tuna
- Eggs: Whole eggs or with omega-3 fatty acids
- Butter and cream: Grass-fed if possible
- Cheese: Cheddar, goat, cream, and blue
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil
- Low-carb veggies: Green veggies, tomatoes, onions, pepper, etc.
Foods to Avoid
- Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candies, etc.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
- Fruits: All fruits, except berries.
- Beans and legumes: Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpea, etc.
- Root vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc.
- Low-fat and diet products: They are highly processed in carbs.
- Alcohol: They are high in carbs
Other Health Benefits Of Ketogenic Diet
Various researches and studies have found these benefits of ketogenic diet:
- Ketogenic diet can improve your HDL levels, blood pressure, and blood sugar.
- This diet is being used to prevent various risk-factors of cancer.
- It can help in slowing down Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s in adults and epilepsy in children.
- It aids in recovery after brain injury.
- It may also help in improving acne.