Is Shakeology Safe For Pregnant And Breastfeeding Women?
The quick answer: Yes.
The long answer: Yes, you are providing yourself with a dense dose of nutrition that is healthy for you and the baby. If you are not having a normal, healthy pregnancy, or if you have any medical concerns, special medications, you should consult your Doctor.
Let me say first off, that as a registered dietitian and someone who has her Masters in Nutrition with a specialty in Maternal and Child Nutrition, I feel I am highly qualified to make this decision on what is best for my body.
However, I have to tell you to check with your doctor first if you have personal questions or concerns. Everybody and every pregnancy is different. Educate yourself, but check with your doctor. While Shakeology may not be for everyone, it is best for me and is the best thing I can recommend.
- Many women are living busy lives. While I personally live what I would call a healthy life and I encourage and teach healthy lifestyle behaviors, I know every day is not perfect. We do not always eat exactly what we should, we overeat, undereat, eat too much sugar, too little vegetables, days like this happen to everyone. If I can be guaranteed that my fellow pregnant ladies and moms are getting at least one meal full of quality nutrition, then at least they have improved their health that day.
- The time it takes to make a shake is minimal, you have no excuse to not make it as you are running out the door, chasing children or doing whatever it is you do.
- It is my prenatal vitamin, my daily green super foods, antioxidants and more. It contains protein, prebiotics and makes my hair and nails strong.
- It actually tastes delicious.
Some Common Questions Or Concerns
Some people with little nutrition background look at the nutritional information and see 5000 IU or 100% DV of Vitamin A. In high doses, Vitamin A is very toxic.
What they don’t look at is the fact that Vitamin A in shakeology is coming from beta-carotene- the plant precursor form of Vitamin A. It is virtually impossible to overdose on beta carotene (the same nutrient that makes carrots good for our eyes).
At first, your digestive system may take some time to get used to the pre- and probiotics in shakeology. If you are not used to having these on a regular basis, you may experience gas and extra bowel movements. If you are nervous or uncomfortable about this, try only having 1/2 serving of shakeology per day until your body adjusts to all the goodness.
Talk to your doctor about other vitamins they recommend during pregnancy. 300 mg DHA is recommended for pregnant women. I’ve increased omega 3s in my diet by eating chia seeds and omega 3 fortified eggs. Never take extra iron unless your doctor recommends it.
Supplements including prenatal vitamins, are not tested or verified by the FDA. Meaning, we as consumers cannot be certain that what is on the label is in fact what is in the bottle. Because of this, I always recommend you research your vitamins and know where they are coming from.
There have been claims against companies who say their vitamins contain one thing or one amount and it turns out to be false. Make sure that your vitamins are USP verified.
While people who are cutting down on calories and exercising will most likely lose weight with shakeology, if you are eating the additional 300+ calories recommended to you during your pregnancy, you will not lose weight. You are recommended to replace one meal a day with shakeology.
Since shakeology on it’s own is only approximately 160 calories, you may choose to make this a healthy snack, or bulk with healthy nutrients such as oats, milk, peanut butter, fruit, to add nutritious calories while pregnant and breastfeeding.
If you are sensitive to dairy or normally have a lot of stomach or GI issues, I’d recommend choosing the vegan flavors of Shakeology which are completely plant based and dairy free.
My Personal Experience
After going through an entire pregnancy, with healthy outcomes (i.e. my beautiful baby), healthy labs, no complications, I believe my healthy lifestyle has a lot to contribute to this. I had some days where I felt nauseous, tired and overwhelmed.
Shakeology was staple during my pregnancy. Not only for the complete nutrition, but because it came in an easy, compact, tasty to devour form.
I also drank Shakeology for the entire year I breastfed my daughter. I feel it helped me with maintaining my energy, digestion, and quick physical recovery.
What Is In Shakeology?
Protein And Essential Amino Acids
- Help build and repair muscles
- Reduce hunger and food cravings
- Promote healthy skin, hair, and nails
- Chocolate and greenberry Shakeology include whey protein isolate, an easily absorbable source of high-quality protein that’s ideal for building and maintaining lean muscle mass.
- Tropical strawberry and vegan chocolate include high-quality plant proteins from brown rice, pea and other sources. Essential amino acids, found in these proteins, help the body repair muscle tissue and heal wounds; and reduce hunger pangs. The protein in all Shakeology products provides a highly bioavailable source of essential amino acids.
Prebiotics, Probiotics And Digestive Enzymes
- Aid digestion
- Support a healthy intestinal tract
- Increase absorption of nutrients
- Shakeology contains many ingredients that are beneficial to the digestive system.
- Prebiotics, natural components of certain plants, help support the “friendly” bacteria in your digestive tract.
- Probiotics are strains of live good bacteria that help with the digestive process. They assist the body in absorbing nutrients and minerals, bring an overall balance to the digestive tract, and help support the immune system.
- Digestive enzymes, from sources such as pineapples and papayas, help your body break down food into its individual components, making the nutrients easier to absorb.
- Help promote a strong immune system
- Help increase energy
- Help protect the body from stress
- Help balance endocrine hormones and the immune system
- Adaptogens are special herbs that grow in harsh climates and conditions, at high elevations, atop mountains where the soil is rocky and oxygen in the air is thin. Because these plants have to adapt to harsh conditions, they have highly concentrated nutrients that can help your body cope with stress, provide energy, and maintain a strong immune system. Shakeology has a total of 9 adaptogens. Which is more than any other shake out there.
Antioxidants And Phytonutrients (Plant-sourced Ingredients)
- Help neutralize harmful free radicals
- Help decrease inflammation
- Help maintain the immune system
- Potentially decrease the risk of degenerative diseases
- Many of Shakeology fruit and vegetable sources have been chosen for their high concentration of healthy natural substances known as phytonutrients, including flavonoids, polyphenols, anthocyanins, and catechins. These substances have antioxidant properties.
- Phytonutrients help neutralize free radicals, which damage cells and contribute to the aging process. In laboratory tests, phytonutrients have shown promise in helping prevent a wide variety of degenerative conditions.
Vitamins And Minerals You Need
- Get a wide range of essential nutrients
- Get your necessary vitamins every day
- Make up for dietary deficiencies
- Most of us don’t get the complete range of essential vitamins and minerals in our daily diets. Some important vitamins, such as vitamin C and the B vitamins, are water-soluble, meaning they’re flushed out of your body after a short time and need to be replenished regularly.
- Others, like vitamin E, can be difficult to get enough of in food. Shakeology chocolate and greenberry provide all these nutrients in an easy-to-take form, so you never have to worry (tropical strawberry and vegan chocolate do not have the vitamin and mineral ingredients added)
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.