Curejoy Expert Gina Hodge Explains:
According to Ayurveda, milk is considered to be essential for the human body and should be an important part of the diet. Ayurveda ardently encourages the consumption of warm milk on a regular basis by all healthy individuals. It contains vitamins (A, K and B12), thiamine, and nicotinic acid, minerals like calcium, phosphorus, sodium and potassium.
There are conflicting arguments regarding the best time to drink milk. If consumed in the morning, it makes us active the entire day. At night, it can calm our minds and make us sleep better. Ayurveda however emphasizes on drinking milk at night.
Effects Of Drinking Milk Depending Upon Time
- Morning: Drinking milk in the morning is not advised as it is heavy to digest.
- Afternoon:Drinking milk in the afternoon promotes strength in old people; it also helps to alleviate certain medical conditions such as urinary calculi or stones.
- Evening: Drinking milk in the evening is beneficial for the eyes.
- Night: Night is the best time to drink milk as it reduces tiredness and is helpful for inducing good sleep.
Thus drinking your way to a good night’s sleep might be beneficial due to the following reasons:
- Drinking Milk at night facilitates the sleep process, as it contains the amino acid tryptophan, which helps in increasing the melatonin (also known as the sleep hormone) level in the body
- Milk is a good source of calcium, which is important for maintaining bone health .Also the calcium will be absorbed optimally due to low activity levels in the evening
- Proteins present may be beneficial for those trying to gain lean muscle mass.
As with everything else in life you will find different outlooks. Have a look at the few factors below you must take into consideration too.
Factors To Be Taken Into Consideration While Drinking Milk
- People suffering from conditions like fresh fever, weak digestion, certain skin conditions, cough, loose bowel movements and intestinal worms should avoid drinking milk.
- Milk should never be taken during the meals as it is difficult to digest. It should always be consumed separately and should be warm, for easier digestion.
- Milk if taken cold, homogenized, combined with unsuitable foods and in excess will definitely be harmful for health.
- Milk should be avoided completely for people who are lactose intolerant.
Drinking milk at night before sleep may be fattening.
Thus modern Ayurveda scientists suggests that the secret to milk being a healthy food lies completely in the way it is consumed, prepared, stored and maintained.
Never take milk from Jersey cows, those common in America. Very harmful as article states. Milk from Desi cow (India) is especially beneficial so do partake when in that country. It is a whole different experience and divine for body, soul, and mind.
Why do you think so many elderly Americans (mainly) are hunchbacks? The best time to drink cow milk is at no time, fundamentally, because we are human. Baby calves are best able to digest cow milk because that is what nature equipped them to drink. Not us. Cow milk leeches calcium from human bones. Any nursing by any mammal, i.e., drinking milk, is to be done during infancy. After getting weaned, neither cows nor human beings should consume cow milk! Humans are the only beings that consume the milk of another species, and only in large quantities because it's commercialized.
If you want a tastier, creamier, harmless milk, make it from many varieties of nuts and seeds, like cashews, pumpkin seeds, hempseed, etc., usually in 1 part, added to 3 or 4 parts purified water in a high-speed blender. Sweeten with 3 pitted dates. Add vanilla for extra flavor. No lactose intolerance, no harmful fats, no hormones & antibiotics that are routinely injected into livestock. Just delicous, honest milk.
Then decide day or night.
A very well written article! I agree with the premise that milk should be consumed at night. However, in addition to the factors listed above, another important factor is the adulteration of milk. The nutrient composition and digestion of milk would be affected if the milk is adulterated. Pride of Cows have found an effective way to counter this adulteration and maintain their quality standards but shortening their supply chain, removing the human touch element and completely automating the process. I wonder if other brands will be able to match their premium quality.
Milk is actually not for adults:-). Seriously, it makes create more mucus and doesn't really digest well. Go for some seeds instead, like groundnut, soake for 6hrs and consume.
Dont always post a question posting facts is better to spread information on social media.. if thts wat u wanna do
What does actual Ayurveda teach about milk consumption, since this page is about Ayurveda? Panir, ghee, etc? Haven't these been common in Indian cuisine for thousands of years? I was under the impression that Indian recipes were based on Ayurvedic principles.
It takes more calcium to digest cow milk than you get drinking it Cow milk leaches calcium from your bones
Why should we drink milk when cows don't? Well that is because some of us love it, but cows do not have the thinking process that humans do :). It would be kinda funny though to see them set down with a big glass of milk with some Oreo's. Lol. But for us we will continue to drink milk because we love it, but mostly because we can
All I can say milk is good for ur body. I drink glass at nite n in the morning ice cold milk. This is me.
Vit b12 comes from the earth. It's a mineral. How do you think cow got it. Vegetarians should drink plant based milk. Cows milk have casein, hormones amd 52 types of drugs.