Curejoy Expert Dr.Janardhana Hebbar Explains:
Ancient Ayurvedic text explains incompatible foods (virudh aahar) as two or more food ingredients when combined are not good for your health. Foods may be incompatible because they create a negative reaction in the body, generate additional water in the body (kleda) that can lead to skin conditions, block the body’s channels, contribute to heart disease or lead to indigestion.
According to Ayurveda, every food has its own taste (rasa), a heating or cooling energy (virya) and post-digestive effect (vipak). When two or three different food substances of different taste, energy and post-digestive effect are combined together digestive fire (agni) can become overloaded inhibiting the enzyme system and resulting in production of toxins in the system.
Incompatible foods according to Ayurveda
- Milk should not be eaten with fish as milk is a coolant and fish has a hot potency that vitiates the blood and causes obstruction of the body’s channels (srotas).
- Chicken or fish should not be combined with milk, sesame, or sprouted grains as it may lead to digestive problems.
- Salt and milk together should be avoided due to antagonistic qualities in the two.
- Milk and melons (or any fruit) must not be consumed together because milk is a laxative and melon a diuretic, the combination creating a sour stomach and lots of acidity.
- Banana should not be eaten with milk, yogurt or buttermilk because the combination can diminish digestion, produce toxins and lead to cold, cough, and allergies.
- Avoid cold or iced drinks during or directly after a meal as the cold diminishes digestive fire (agni) causing a host of digestive problems, allergies, and colds.
- Ghee and honey must not be mixed in equal quantities as they have opposite reactions in the body. Honey has a heating, drying, scraping action whereas ghee has a cooling, moisturizing quality.
- Sweet and sour fruits should not be combined. Individual fruits should be eaten as is and as a different meal.
- Sour fruits should not to eaten or combined with milk.
- Avoid eating raw and cooked foods together. One can have the salad first and then proceed for dinner after a short gap.
- Starches are incompatible with eggs, milk, bananas, dates and persimmons.
- Radishes should not be combined with milk, bananas and raisins.
- Potato, tomato, eggplant, and chillies are incompatible with yogurt, milk, melon and cucumber.
- Eggs should not be eaten with milk, meat, yogurt, melons, cheese, fish, and bananas.
- Mangoes are incompatible with yogurt, cheese and cucumbers.
- Corn is incompatible with dates, raisins and bananas.
- Lemon should not be consumed with yogurt, milk, cucumbers and tomatoes.