To use ghee for skin, take 10 ounces of ghee and mix with sufficient water. Add fresh water and continue mixing. Repeat this many times till the ghee turns into white with a butter like consistency. This can act as a natural moisturizer, relieves burning sensation, wounds, chicken pox scars, can be applied around umbilicus for excessive bleeding in pregnant women.
It is a common notion that ghee is used only orally. But in Ayurveda, ghee is extensively used for skin care. A special but very simple ghee preparation is used in many skin conditions like burns, wound scars, skin marks, burning sensation etc.
How To Use Ghee For Skin?
This ghee remedy is called as Shata dhauta ghrita in Ayurveda.
- Shata = 100
- Dhauta = washed with water
- Ghrita = ghee or clarified butter
What You Need?
- Ghee – 10 ounces
- water – sufficient quantity.
In this home remedy of ghee for skin care, we add ghee with equal quantity of water. Mix it thoroughly by hand or a machine for 3 – 5 minutes, letting out the water. Add more fresh water and continue mixing. This process is repeated as many times as possible. In Ayurveda, it is advised to repeat the procedure 100 times. But in practice, it is usually done for 20 – 30 times.
The ghee turns to white colour. It will be smoother to touch and will have butter like consistency. It feels a lot cooler to touch.
Benefits Of Ghee For Skin
- This Shata dhauta ghrita is used to relieve burning sensation, to relieve burn wounds, wound scar, herpes wounds, chicken pox scars, etc.
- It acts as natural skin moisturizer, if used daily. It can be applied over face, left for 10 minutes, washed with warm water.
- In pregnant woman, with unexplained bleeding or spotting, traditionally, it is advised to apply this Shata dhauta ghrita around umbelicus.
- In Ayurvedic leech therapy, after the treatment, to reduce the burning sensation and to check further bleeding, this ghee is applied of the affected area.
4 – 6 months
Because this ghee eventually contains some remnant moisture inside, it is not ideal to store it for more than six months. It should be stored in a clean, dry air tight container. Over exposure to air will cause foul smell.