In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 block of cubed tempeh (1/4 inch wide cubes), 1 cup mild salsa, 1 can of black beans, 1 finely chopped red pepper, 1/2 medium-sized onion (finely chopped) and juice of 1 lime. Mix well. Add 3 tsp of taco seasoning. Cook till onion and peppers begin to soften. Mix in some finely chopped cilantro. Serve with avocado and brown rice or salad.
Here is a high protein, high fiber, and a low-fat meal. If you pair with avocado and a salad, it is lower in carbs too (even though we love whole grains). It is also ridiculously quick and easy to make.
How To Make Tempeh? Vegan, Low-Fat Tempeh Sofritas [Recipe]
- 1 block of tempeh
- 1 cup salsa (mild or medium)
- 1 carton/can black beans
- 1 red pepper chopped finely
- 1/2 medium onion chopped finely
- A handful of finely chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1 small/medium lemon or lime
- 3 tsp taco seasoning
- Chop tempeh into tiny cubes (about 1/4 inch wide).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add all ingredients except taco seasoning and cilantro.
- Mix well then add taco seasoning, mixing it in well too.
- Cook for 2-3 more minutes until onion and peppers are just beginning to soften.
- Turn off heat and mix in cilantro.
Serve with salad and avocado or brown rice and avocado!