Stand or sit with palms on thighs just above the knees. Breathe in and breathe out deeply. With the breath out, pull your navel towards the spine and diaphragm upward. Without breathing in try min of 3 reps, 2–3 times a day. To burn belly fat perform this sitting on all fours, keeping torso horizontal to the ground. This asana improves digestion, blood circulation and liver function, and reduces waistline.
Uddiyana bandha is a really great exercise for ordinary people.
Many yoga exercises are a little daunting for most people. However, uddiyana bandha is both one of the easiest and one of the most beneficial.
Benefits Of Uddiyana Bandha
- Improved digestion
- Detoxification of the intestines
- Purification of the blood
- Improved health of the stomach and intestines
- Improved functioning of the adrenal glands
- Improved function of the liver
- Improved functioning of the pancreas
- Improved blood circulation through the entire body
- Improved subtle energy glow within the body
- Improved posture
- Reduced waistline
How To Perform Uddiyana Bandha
Uddiyana bandha is known as upward abdominal lock or literally “flying upward.” Keep this image in mind when performing this exercise.
- Stand up and place your hands on your thighs, just above your knees.
- Breathe in deeply and then breathe out.
- Now with the breath held out, pull your abdomen in toward your spine and your diaphragm upward. The best way to do this is to visualize your navel being pulled back toward your spine.
- At the same time, make a conscious effort to raise your diaphragm, which will automatically pull your rib cage upward.
- Without breathing, repeat this pulling in and letting out of your abdomen several times. Ideally, you should complete 10 repetitions, but for most of us this would prove difficult, so aim for 5 and settle for less, if need be. These repetitions are regarded as one round.
- Take a deep breath and repeat another round of sucking in of your abdomen. Aim for 3 rounds in total.
You should start out with several repetitions for several rounds.
Importantly, with yoga, there should be no force, so don’t push too hard; rather, do what feels comfortable.
Each day, aim to add a rep; each week, aim to add a round.
Try this exercise out 2–3 times daily and work up to 10 reps and 10 rounds.
The Alternative Method
This variation is for people with weak abdominal muscles and obese people.
- Sit on all fours, resting on your knees and the palms of your hands, making contact with the floor
- Keep your torso horizontal.
- Do the same exercise of sucking in the abdomen (this puts less stress on the abdomen compared with regular uddiyana bandha).
This posture also has the added benefit of providing an opportunity to perform an anal bandha.
Simply suck in the anus and hold it in during each round.
This provides the added benefit of both preventing and healing haemorrhoids and boosting energy levels.
Also in the case of men, it strengthens the muscles below the bladder, thus helping prevent incontinence.
Uddiyana bandha is a really great exercise and is very easy to perform.
Also you can do it just about anywhere; it just requires a little effort to make it a habit.
Keep it up for 21 days, and you will be surprised at the difference it makes to your overall health and well-being.