Heat 7 tbs cacao powder, 2 tbs coconut oil, 2 tbs coconut butter, 2 tbs honey, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 10 drops liquid stevia, ¼ tsp cinnamon powder, ¼ tsp cardamom powder and ¼ tsp salt until liquid. Pour into candy molds, sprinkle 4 tbs chopped cherries and 3 tbs chopped almonds over molds equally. Freeze for an hour and enjoy.
I try to eat right, move my body and take time to relax.
Every once in a while though, I just want a treat!
If I am going to eat a treat:
1. It has to be worth it, no half way sugar fixes of something I don’t really like that much. If I am going to have a treat, I save up for something I really like
2. Don’t junk out. There are so many good treats now. You can get real cacao bars and delicious sweets made with coconut oil. I can satisfy a sweet craving with something made with stevia or honey instead of artificial sweeteners and really enjoy something made with healthy ingredients
3. Make it myself. If I make a treat myself, I know exactly what is in it. It is surprisingly easy to make something sweet, delicious and nutritious.
My favorite home-made chocolate treat recipe.
It contains healthy fats, anti-oxidant rich chocolate, mineral rich dried fruit and natural sweeteners that aren’t going to put the burden on your body that artificial sweeteners do.
I have made these chocolates for years and now instead of being asked to bring a dish to potlucks, my friends say, “Do you think you can make some of those herbal chocolates?”
Why of course I can! I almost feel guilty, they are so easy to make and everyone thinks it takes more effort than it does.
Guilt-Free Homemade Herbal Cherry Chocolate Treat
This delicious homemade chocolate treat takes only a few minutes to prepare. It is the perfect crowd pleaser for a potluck, just plan for enough time for the chocolate to freeze.
- 7 tablespoons powdered cacao
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 4 tablespoons minced dried cherries or cranberries
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 drops liquid stevia
- ¼ teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon powdered cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat all ingredients (except cherries and almonds) together on low heat until liquid
- Pour into candy molds. You can find candy molds at craft stores and cooking supply shops
- Spoon finely chopped dried cherries or cranberries and almonds into each mold after the chocolate has been poured into the mold. That way you can control how much dried fruit and almonds go into each mold.
- Put into freezer for one hour
- Pop out of candy molds and put on serving plate
If it is a really hot day, the chocolate should be served just before eating. They hold their form well unless they are outside in the sun or near a sunny window.
I have heart shaped candy molds, but you can find all different shapes and sizes of candy molds. There are tiny bite sized molds and large bunny molds for making your own chocolate Easter bunny.
You can also create your own chocolate recipe and use different dried fruits and nuts.