Foot, leg and ankle swelling (peripheral edema) refers to an accumulation of fluids in these parts of the body. Home remedies for edema are: taking an epsom salt soak, exercising or yoga, consuming lots of water, elevating your legs and getting a massage. Also consider taking magnesium supplements, since one reason for the inflammation is magnesium deficiency.
How To Cure Swollen Feet, Ankles, And Legs?
Foot, leg, and ankle swelling is also known as peripheral edema. This refers to an accumulation of fluid in these parts of the body. This can be very uncomfortable and cause you pain and restlessness. There are several reasons behind edema from lifestyle conditions to blood pressure. Some of the common reasons behind swelling on the feet, ankles and legs are standing for long hours, pregnancy, obesity, physical stress, being confined for long periods of time (while travelling), blood clots and more. Here are a few home remedies that’ll bring you relief from edema.
Home Remedies For Swollen Ankles, Feet And Legs
1. Epsom Salt Soak: Epsom salts work magically for swollen and painful feet. Either dissolve a few cups of epsom salts in your bathwater, or just take a bucket, add some salt to it and soak your feet in it for about 20 minutes. Epsom salts are made of magnesium sulfate that is absorbed through the skin, the reason why these salts are so successful at reducing swelling and improving blood circulation. Not only does it work wonders on your painful feet, but they also soothe your skin and make them smell good for long!
2. Exercise: Exercise stimulates blood circulation. If you’re suffering from painful or inflamed legs, you must consider swimming. It can ease discomfort and take the impact off your feet. Yoga can be another way to increase blood circulation, and prevent blood from pooling in certain areas like the ankles and the feet. Yoga inversion postures that elevate the feet above the heart, such as lying on your back and putting your legs straight up against a wall can also alleviate pressure and swelling on fatigued lower extremities.
3. Drink a lot of water: By drinking water throughout the day, we hydrate our tissues and detox the body. Sodium and caffeine, which contribute to feet inflammation, get diluted if we water ourselves sufficiently. The general rule for good health is 8 to 10 glasses of water a day. Drink more if you had some alcohol. Consume cucumber-lemon water. Just drop a couple of cucumber and lemon slices in your glass, and enjoy. Both of these fruits have anti-inflammatory properties which can help fight your swelling faster.
4. Elevate your legs: If you’re not ready for yoga or headstands, try elevating your legs by putting them on a higher surface so they are above the heart. Put a pillow under your ankles when you’re in bed. This will help drain the excess fluid, so it can then get absorbed in the body, or is eliminated with urine.
5. Get a massage: Spa therapies or massages can bring great relief. Apart from being relaxing, it can also promote blood circulation. If you’re pregnant, get a therapist who specializes in prenatal massages.
Also, often inflammation in the feet, ankles and legs is related to magnesium deficiency which can cause swelling. Consult a doctor for the right dose of magnesium supplements. Do try these home remedies and let us know if they worked for you!
Elevate your foot while resting sleeping with 3-4 pillows under your feet. Drink lots of water through out the day. Regular light exercise.
Riza Daguplo. Yes mix a little cider vinegar coconut oil " virgin olive oil" honey , Aloe Vera / you can make Aloe Vera vanilla yogourt one spoon Aloe Vera fresh , too much aloe vera will send you to the bathroom /blessings+
Please ask your questions to our expert here: https://www.curejoy.com/askaquestion/ , Whatever you post here is strictly confidential and only seen by expert Ayurveda doctors.
Jamaica water will work you can find it at a mexican supermarket or try health food store it's actually dry flower burgundy color very sour so you a lil to water once it turns red drink as much as you can, you will see the difference in a week...
This is one of my feet and its not my kidney I take ultrasound of them yesterday! What shall I do! The doctor dont find something wrong???
For two years my ankles hurt it was very hard to walk ; so I pray and pray and it came to me ; I mixed some aloe vera apple cider vinegar oil honey , one week , and there it was a kidney stone; what a relief / back to the trail again to get my walk/ Amen+
If there is no fracture. Please do a gentle leg message till the toe of your feet. I am doing kerala heat message and see a lot of improvement.
I have been suffering the problems of Swollen ankles, feet and legs since 3 years. Sometime I used to have some tablet get relief off it. Presently I am getting treatment at Singapore. After returning home I will apply your theory. Thanks
This is just misleading as there are many reasons why it is happening and the underlying reason needs to be determined to minimise any further risk to the health.
If you have edema, see a doctor. It could be due various reasons some minor or some major. The best thing to do in the mean time is cut salt and elevate your legs. Also if there is a blood clot issues, NEVER massage your legs. This could lead to the clot breaking free and causing a pulmonary embolism.
I will try the Epsom salt all day tomorrow. I will still walk on crutches. Thanks for the advice Bebé!!":)