To clear out phlegm from your sinuses, boil 10-12 crushed mint leaves and a few drops each of clove oil and eucalyptus oil in 1 liter water. Inhale the steam for 10 min twice daily. Or, consume 1 tsp fresh ginger in 1 tsp honey twice daily. You may also inhale the aroma from crushed garlic cloves. Eat warm foods and sleep on one side with your head raised to avoid mucus buildup.
Sinusitis occurs when the tissues lining the air-filled spaces within the bones of the face are swollen. There is sneezing, difficulty in breathing, and a feeling of heaviness in the head. In ayurveda, it is known as pinasa.
How To Treat Sinusitis At Home
1. Steam Treatment
The first step is to reduce the swelling of the sinuses, which can be best done by inhalation of steam. Boil 1–2 liters of water and add a few drops of clove oil (or a large spoonful of cloves), 10–12 crushed mint leaves, and a few drops of eucalyptus oil (or 1/3 cup of eucalyptus leaves). Inhale the steam for 10–15 minutes. Continue this twice a day until congestion clears and then once a week to clear the phlegm that gets deposited in the sinuses.
2. Ginger And Honey
Have 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice with 1 teaspoon of honey in it twice a day.
Crush 4–5 peeled garlic buds and inhale the fragrance. This will reduce the congestion.
What Diet And Lifestyle Should You Follow
- Have freshly prepared and easily digestible warm food, lots of vegetables, and fresh fruits.
- Take warm water plain, or prepare it with cinnamon and black pepper.
- Eat plenty of garlic and ginger.
- Avoid cold, heavy, oily foods, cold drinks, chocolates, ice cream, cold water, etc.
- Get plenty of rest. Sleep while lying on one side and with a pillow beneath the head. This prevents the accumulation of mucus in the air passages and helps avoid difficulties in breathing.