Changes in diet and lifestyle are essential to cure indigestion. Flat out fasting or even sticking to boiled vegetables, fresh fruits and juices is beneficial. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, fresh ginger, black pepper to your diet. Lemon juice in warm water and buttermilk support the digestive process. Soda water relieves acidity. Adequate sleep, moderate exercise and a stress-free lifestyle are necessary.
According to ayurveda, a toxic material called ama is produced as a result of indigestion. Fasting is an excellent method to digest this ama. If the patient is fat and strong he can fast completely for two days. Taking fruits, fruit juices and boiled vegetables for one week is also a very beneficial way of fasting.
A light and easily digestible diet is advised for a patient suffering from indigestion. Freshly cooked food, mostly boiled vegetables should be consumed. Cooking with spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, fresh ginger, black pepper, asafoetida, etc. is beneficial. Sufficient time gap between meals is recommended to allow food to digest.
Can’t help but emphasize the importance of the right diet in curing indigestion. Adherence to some of these dietary modifications and lifestyle changes can bring about considerable improvements in indigestion patients.
- Taking lemon juice in warm water three times a day improves digestion.
- Chewing a piece of raw ginger (about one gram) with rock salt or common salt is good. This should be taken about five minutes before each meal.
- Drinking buttermilk is very beneficial to improve the digestion. It should be taken at the end of a meal. It is better to mix some roasted cumin seeds and a little rock salt or common salt in this.
- Drinking plain soda water gives immediate relief with symptoms like wind, distended stomach and acidity.
- Eating about three grams of anise seeds improves digestion.
- Sleeping during the day, especially after lunch is prohibited as it produces indigestion.
- The patient should not stay awake late at night.
- He or she should be free from mental stress, anxiety, fear, and grief.
- Physical exercise according to ones strength is beneficial.