In a small pan, heat 1 cup unsweetened almond, coconut or hazelnut milk, on low to med heat. Do not let it boil. Turn off heat when you see steam. Add 1 tbsp raw cacao powder, 1 tsp raw honey, 1 drop liquid stevia (optional). Whisk to combine. Keep on stove for 1 min. Remove from heat and serve. You can also add coconut flakes, peppermint oil or cinnamon powder.
Coming off a cold freeze this weekend, the reported lowest temps of the century so far, I couldn’t help but share my favorite healthy hot chocolate recipe with you.
This recipe just takes minutes to prepare, while satisfying your chocolate craving. It’s perfect for warming up before winter activities or snuggling up with, by the fire afterwards.
The key ingredient here is raw cacao.
Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 cup unsweetened almond, coconut, or hazelnut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon raw, local honey
- 1 drop liquid stevia (if needed)
- Optional add-ins: coconut flakes, peppermint essential oil or cinnamon
- Place a cup of unsweetened milk substitute in a small pan and warm on low to medium heat until hot. However, do not let it boil (Tip: When you see steam, it’s typically the perfect temperature).
- Add the other ingredients with the exception of the optional add-ins. Whisk to combine. Once all ingredients are incorporated, keep on the stove for another minute. Remove from heat and serve.
Note: Now is the time to add your optional add-ins. Choose one from the list depending on which milk substitute you chose. Cinnamon goes great with almond or hazelnut milk, peppermint works well with coconut milk, and the coconut flakes works for any milk substitute option.