Loaded with antioxidants and 75% of MUFAs (good fats!) - extra virgin olive oil helps strengthen your immune system, treats arthritis/osteoporosis, minimizes the risk of heart diseases and cancer, aids weight loss, and is a natural cure for skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis. It is an effective pregnancy aid (whilst breastfeeding!) and a diabetes deterrent too.
The health benefits of consuming extra virgin olive oil are many. It is rich in vitamin E as well as many other nutrients. Olive oil has been around for thousands of years and during all those times, it’s been praised for its healing powers and health benefits.
The Cretes were exporting olive oil as far back as in 2575 B.C. Also, Greek mythology as well as the Bible has a mention of it. Olive oil is around 75% monounsaturated fat. That’s the good kind of fat beneficial to the body.
Olive Oil: Health Benefits
The following is a list of some of the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil:
- It’s abundant monounsaturated fats reduce the risk of heart and cardiovascular diseases.
- Olive oil contains a wide variety of valuable antioxidants that help to keep free radicals in check.
- It helps to lower bad cholesterol, and maintains the beneficial HDL cholesterol.
- It lowers the effect on blood pressure.
- It’s beneficial during pregnancy, and whilst breast feeding.
- It helps to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes. It also appears to lower blood sugar or glucose levels in diabetics.
- Olive oil-rich diets may lead to greater and long-lasting weight loss, than a low-fat diet.
- It’s beneficial for the stomach, pancreas, and the intestines.
- It helps with anti-aging, osteoporosis, arthritis, and skin damage.
- It may bolster the immune system.
- It helps in the natural treatment of eczema and psoriasis.
Olive Oil For Cancer
Studies have shown, that adding extra virgin olive oil to your daily diet may reduce your risk of breast, colorectal, prostate, and esophageal cancers. As it contains a protective element that assists against certain malignant tumours in these regions.
Ever wondered why the Mediterranean women have such good skin? They’ve been using extra virgin olive oil as a moisturiser for centuries.
Try it yourself and see the magic! Use a little to start with and add more if you need, instead of using those alcohol based moisturisers that are filled with all sorts of chemicals.
What’s more, those chemicals deliberately dry out your skin so you have to use more product, and then buy more. So as you can see, not only does extra virgin olive oil taste great but it is healthy for you as well.