The chemical name for Epsom Salts is magnesium sulphate. Most of us know our calcium and vitamin intake, but are ignorant about how important magnesium is for our body. According to the National Academy of Sciences, American’s magnesium deficiency accounts for high rates of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, arthritis and joint pain, digestive maladies, stress-related illnesses, chronic fatigue and a number of other ailments. Here are some of the reasons Epsom salts can be really good for your health:
Health Benefits of Epsom Salts
1. Treat Constipation: Epsom salts can be very effective for constipation, when added to a glass of water. The magnesium sulfate that Epsom Salt contains has the ability to draw water into the bowel, which then softens any stools, making them easier to pass. However, it is recommended you consult a doctor before use.
2. Relieves Stress: When we have excess adrenaline and stress, it drains magnesium which is the natural stress reliever of the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
3. Treats Acne: Epsom salts are a great exfoliator, and they help clean skin pores. Also, the antimicrobial content of the sulfate means that Epsom helps to fight off any acne bacteria.
4. Relives mosquito bites and bee stings: Battle minor swelling from bee stings by using an anti-inflammatory Epsom salt compress. Mix two tablespoons of Epsom salt with a cup of cold water and soak a cotton washcloth in the solution. Apply to the affected area.
5. Dry Lips: Add a few teaspoons of Epsom salts to petroleum jelly and apply it on your lips. This will help remove dead skin, and leave your lips smoother and healthier.
6. Hair Care: Epsom salts can be used to remove toxins, clean your scalp, and add volume to your hair. Add Epsom salts to your hair conditioner and leave it for 20 minutes before you wash it out with lukewarm water.
7. Sunburn Relief: Epsom salts contain anti-inflammatory properties that can be very effective in treating sunburns, Mix two tablespoons of epsom with one cup of water and spray it over the affected area.
8. Improves Heart Health: Improves heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
Edited by Pragya Sharoff
Oh yes omg I took a bath in that just three tea spoons and my skin was so soft when I got out this is best for oily skin my god !
Helps my feet and soften's too. I have a lavender epsom salts and in the bath they are great and relaxing
so is the only time you recommend ingesting it is for constipation? are all other benefits derived from taking a bath or applying directly to the skin etc.?
Epsom salts baths.... wonderful for anyone with inflammation in muscles/joints...draws toxins from the body...very helpful for Fibromyalgia in particular.. my daily go to for pain relief and relaxing tight muscles
I do this almost twice a day soaking my painful muscles with fibromyalgia and a chromosome issue , it works like a charm
You left out soaking in an Epsom Salt bath to relax and relieve muscle pain. Add some baking soda and it also removes toxins.