Curejoy Expert Gina Hodge Explains:
This condition is characterized by toenail discoloration, thickened and brittle nails. As the infection progresses, white or yellow patches may be seen on the scaly skin next to the nail, which may impart a foul odour.An estimated 13% of Americans, roughly equivalent to 35 million people have toenail fungus.
Various prescription drugs are available for the treatment of toenail fungus, but if you want to refrain from toxic medications and products and would like a treatment that has no side effects for the body, the Ayurvedic treatment or home remedies for Toenail fungus are listed below:
- Tea Tree Oil:Tea tree oil is an essential oil which has a powerful anti fungal property that treats a variety of infections including toenail fungus. The oil has to be applied externally and for toenail fungus sufferers with sensitive skin, it may be diluted with milder oils, such as almond oil.
- Garlic: Allicin, a biologically active compound of garlic is a natural fungicide. To treat a fungal nail infection, oil made from garlic essential oil may be applied topically at the site of infection.
- Apple cider vinegar with warm water: This combination is used as a complementary treatment. Scrubbing the affected area by using a scrub made of coarse ground rice flour and a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar is a very good cure for toe nail fungal infection.
- Olive leaf: An extract of the olive leaf which is an anti-fungal agent is also effective.
- Lavender oil and Tea tree oil: Lavender oil mixed with tea tree oil is a good remedy for toe nail fungus. Lavender oil fights infection while the tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic. This mixture can be diluted with olive oil before application as they contain volatile compounds.
- A mixture of oregano and olive oil: Itis also a natural home remedy for toenail fungus. Two drops of oregano with a tablespoon full of olive oil applied on the affected area for three weeks does the cure.
- Rubbing Alcohol or Hydrogen peroxide: Feet soaked for about twenty minutes in rubbing alcohol or Hydrogen peroxide (3%solution) mixed with equal proportion of water is a good natural remedy. But the feet should be thoroughly dried afterwards.
- Probiotic food: Foods such as yogurt and kefir is essential for patients with toe nail fungus.
- Turmeric: Turmeric paste and water applied on the affected nail and then left to dry and thereafter rinsed off, is a natural cure for toe nail fungus.
- Onion: Rubbing the affected area with peeled and sliced onion is an effective treatment too.
- Vitamin E: Applying vitamin E oil to affected nails once or twice a day may help the nail grow healthy and free of fungus.
How to Prevent Toenail Fungus?
- Wash your feet regularly and keep your nails short and dry.
- Treat old shoes with disinfectants or antifungal powders or discard them, as they may harbor the fungi which may cause reinfection.
- Always choose shoes that reduce humidity.
- Avoid walking barefoot in public places.
- Always wash your hands properly after touching an infected nail. As the fungus can be transmitted from one nail to the other.
What about soaking a cotton ball with colloidal silver, making a toe condom from the tip of a glove and leaving on couple times a week?
I have black toe from I hit something and it grow back again I put rubber on it and I took a shower, bath but it come back
Did for me....think it's what works for you that you have to figure out....I globbed it on morning and night.
PH level inside your body may not be what it should in order for the nail to heal the fungus. There for in order for the things you tried(that usually work to kill the fungus), you have to correct the PH levels and have the right nutrition. Do everything in steps or your body/system will have a shock to it and may cause another bad reaction. I still believe in tea tree oil as a topical to include the proper nutrition to correct the ph level in the body.
At all pharmacies.....the best is Thursday Plantation (brand)....use it daily.... my first- aid kit in a bottle
I started doing henna on my toes last month, I have 2 toes on my right foot that are bad with fungus. Did the medication and it came back after 6 years, I've tried all the crazy remedies and so far the henna has worked the best and I love the color and the way it looks. Plus added bonus I don't have to paint them and no chips. Girly thing.
I'm not an Ayurvedic practioner by any means. I just know I have used coconut oil on my affected toenails & surrounding skin, put light weight socks on, & retired for the night. After doing this for a few weeks the yellowness of my nails disappeared, as well the burning pain in those toes. I keep coconut oil next to the bed! It does have anti-fungal properties. I hope you'll give it another try.