Mix 1 cup sorghum flour+1/2 cup each hazelnut flour and butter+2 tbsp sugar+1/2 tbsp cardamom into a dough. Press this at the bottom of a 9 inch square cake pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 mins. Set aside. Mix 1 cup each brown sugar and walnuts+8 oz dates+1 tbsp sorghum flour+1/2 tbsp soda +1/2 tsp salt, to 3 eggs+1 tbsp vanilla extract mix. Pour over crust. Bake at 375°F for 35 mins. Refrigerate and cut into bars.
About 10 years ago, a customer asked me to make gluten free dessert for her gluten-intolerant son’s birthday. I wanted to make something that is unique, tastes good and uses ingredients from the Mediterranean. Thus, the date and walnut bar was born. Soon after, they became a hit at the restaurant! They are enjoyed by everyone, irrespective of whether they are allergic to gluten or not.
Ingredients For 12 Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnut flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon white sorghum flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To Make The Crust
- Mix white sorghum flour with the hazelnut flour, white sugar and cardamom. Add the butter and blend until you have coarse dough.
- Press the dough firmly into the bottom of a 9-inch square cake pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
To Make The Bars
- Mix the brown sugar with the chopped walnuts, the chopped dates, 1 tablespoon of white sorghum flour, the baking soda and the salt.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract, and then add to the date mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Pour the date batter over the baked crust. Tap the baking pan gently. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place on a rack and allow it to cool for a couple of hours.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cut into 2-inch squares.