Dandruff is the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. In some people the shedding happens chronically due to various reasons like pollution, shampoo, etc. Trying out different home remedies with ingredients like, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, oil, garlic, banana, rosemary, salt, neem, baking soda, aloe vera gel, snake gourd, etc, have given effective results.
Dandruff is the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. A small amount of flaking is normal for most people, because skin cells die and regenerate every day. However, some people experience this chronically due to many reasons like pollution, individual oil sebum levels and shampoos. Dandruff, contrary to popular belief can be treated, and some of these home treatments if followed diligently can get rid of dandruff completely.
Effective Home Remedies For Dandruff
- Rub plain yogurt on wet scalp for 10-15 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- Apply the juice of snake gourd on wet scalp before rinsing with water.
- An infusion of thyme, nettle or sage with 2 tablespoons of vinegar can be used as a final rinse.
- To make an infusion, fresh or dried herbs can be used in loose or tea-bag form.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Wash hair normally, then pour vinegar-water mixture carefully onto hair, and scrub it on to your scalp.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with water.
- The vinegar smell will disappear once your hair is dry.
- Repeat daily for about a week.
- Crush some garlic pods and rub it on to your scalp.
- Alternatively you can mix crushed garlic with honey, and massage on to your scalp before washing.
- Peel a whole banana.
- Mix with two cups vinegar and stir until completely combined.
- Apply the mixture on to hair.
- Leave in for twenty minutes to one hour.
- Then, rinse the mixture completely.
- Repeat every day for one week.
- Instead of shampooing, rub a heaping tablespoon of baking soda on to your wet hair and scalp.
- Wash thoroughly after one minute.
- Alternatively you can mix a juice of one lemon with baking soda and apply it.
- Mix vinegar in oil of rosemary leaves (squeeze them).
- You can also apply the mixture of rosemary oil and coconut oil to your scalp to treat dandruff.
- Mix malt vinegar with white wine vinegar in 1:1 ratio.
- To this mixture add water in 1:1 ratio.
- Apply it on to your scalp and massage gently before washing it off.
Aloe Vera Gel
- Remove the gel of aloe from its leaf and apply it directly to the hair.
- Keep it for 20 minutes and then rinse your hair.
- Mix coconut oil, olive oil, yogurt and honey together.
- The ingredients should be roughly in 2:2:3:2 ratio, so that they form a smooth paste of medium consistency, which is not runny and stays on your scalp like a paste.
- Add more yogurt and honey to thicken as needed.
- Massage the mixture on to your scalp for 10 minutes.
- Let the rub set for 20 minutes.
- Try sitting under a steamer as you allow your rub to set.
- Or, if you do not have have a steamer, let the rub set while you take a hot bath.
- If you do not have a bathtub, just allow the rub to set for a little longer (30-45 minutes).
- Rinse using shampoo until your scalp feels clean.
- Mix essential oils of cedar-wood (7 drops), cypress and juniper (each 10 drops) in 50ml of carrier oil.
- Rub well on to the scalp and leave for one hour before rinsing off with water.
- Use 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt and gently massage it on wet hair and wash off with cold water.
- Soak neem leaves in hot water for few hours, and blend it in a smooth paste using olive oil or tea tree oil.
- Apply it on scalp and massage using fingers and not nails, rinse off using cold water.