Did You Know...?Dandruff is a common scalp condition characterized by white flakes on the scalp. Dandruff is also known as seborrheic dermatitis. With dandruff, there is inflammation of the superficial layers of the skin, causing scales on the scalp and other parts of the body. The mild scalp inflammation is caused by the body's reaction to the Pityrosporum yeast and...
Did You Know…?
Dandruff is a common scalp condition characterized by white flakes on the scalp. Dandruff is also known as seborrheic dermatitis. With dandruff, there is inflammation of the superficial layers of the skin, causing scales on the scalp and other parts of the body. The mild scalp inflammation is caused by the body’s reaction to the Pityrosporum yeast and to products that break down oils.
Symptoms of Dandruff
Dandruff develops gradually. White or yellow (greasy) flakes appear on the hair and scalp. Your scalp may become itchy and redness may occur. There is no hair loss. People with the severe form of this condition may have yellow or red scaling pimples on the hairline, behind the ears, in the ear, or in the creases beside the nose.
Things that worsen dandruff are:
• Genetics – Dandruff tends to run in families
• Stress – Emotional and physical
• Climate – Dandruff is worse in the winter.
Foods to Avoid: Reduce intake of fats, dairy products, sugars, chocolate, seafood, and peanuts.
Increase your intake of the foods listed below:
• Green leafy vegetables
• Raw foods
• Eat a whole foods diet
Vitamins and nutritional supplements and herbals:
• Biotin – Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin that helps to break down fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. It is sold in supplement form and is found naturally in foods. Food sources of biotin include brewer’s yeast, nutritional yeast, whole grains, nuts, egg yolks, sardines, liver, cauliflower, bananas, and mushrooms.
• Vitamin B Complex, especially vitamin B1 and B2
• Vitamin A
• Omega Fatty Acids, especially Omega-6
• Grapefruit Seed Extract – Add a few drops of grapefruit seed extract to shampoo.
• Tea Tree Oil – Look for a tea tree oil shampoo or add a few drops of tea tree oil to shampoo.
• Selenium-Based Shampoo – Selenium acts as an anti-fungal agent.
• Flaxseed Oil or Vitamin E Oil – Apply these oils to the scalp nightly and wash off in the morning. They can soothe and nourish the scalp.Use an old sheet or towel to protect your pillow.
Remember, dandruff may continue or be associated with development of psoriasis. People with neurological disease such as Parkinson’s, or HIV may have severe dandruff or other forms of seborrheic dermatitis. In this case it may be wise to see a doctor for advice.
I have lot of dandruff and hair fall since 6 years, right now my hair is very thin so some-buddy please tell me, how to avoid dandruff and hair fall
Recently a specialist said I have psoriasis on my head-skin and on my nails.Is this remedy useful for it?
If you stop putting chemicals on your hair, you would not have so many problems. I found out hair spray was causing problems.