Stand erect, lift one leg. Twist the leg near the hip joint and knee, twine it around other leg. Maintain balance on one leg. With toes of the twisted leg, lock the ankle of the other leg. Keep the body straight, twine your arms around the other. Likewise, twine hands from wrists, join palms against each other, hold for 5-10 seconds. Repeat, with the other leg and hands.
- Stand erect and lift one leg.
- Twist the leg near the hip joint and the knee, and twine it around the other leg.
- Maintain balance on one leg by focusing at one point in front.
- With the toes of the twisted leg, lock the ankle of the other leg.
- Keep the body straight.
- Once steady, twine your arms around the other. Likewise, twine your hands from the wrists and join the palms against each other. Hold this pose for 5-10 seconds.
- Repeat the same sequence with the other leg and hand.
Tips to remember
- It might be tough to balance initially, so stay close to a wall to support your back till you can balance.
- Press the toe of your raised foot against the floor if you are unable to twist completely around the ankle.
- Strengthens and stretches the ankles and calves.
- Stretches the thighs, hips, shoulders and upper back.
- Improves concentration.
- Improves sense of balance.
Avoid this asana if you have the following symptoms:
- Injuries to knee or arms.