Calcium helps support your bones and teeth structure, while vitamin D improves calcium absorption and bone growth. Eat foods like yogurt, milk, cheese, sardines, eggs, salmon, spinach, fortified cereal, tuna, collard green and orange juice. Also prunes and raisins provide boron and other nutrients that are insufficient in today’s diet, needed for strong bones.
Calcium and Vitamin D: Key For Bone Health
There are two key nutrients you need in order to build strong bones – calcium and vitamin D.
Calcium helps to support your bones and teeth structure, while vitamin D improves calcium absorption and bone growth. These nutrients are very important early in life, but they may also help to maintain strong bones as you age.
According to health.com, “Adults up to age 50 should get 1,000 milligrams of calcium and 200 international units (IUs) of vitamin D a day. Adults over 50 should get 1,200 milligrams of calcium and 400 to 600 IU of vitamin D.”
11 Must Have Foods In Your Bone Strengthening Diet
You can get these nutrients by incorporating these 11 foods in your diet:
1. Yogurt –Eating yogurt is a great way to get the proper dosage of vitamin D. Another way many people get their vitamin D is through exposure to sunlight.
2. Milk – It may not surprise you that milk is the poster child for calcium! Eight ounces of fat-free milk will cost you 90 calories, but provide you with 30% of your daily dose of calcium.
3. Cheese – Cheese is full of calcium and great for building bones if you eat it in moderations! Just 1.5 ounces of cheddar cheese contains more than 30% of your daily value of calcium.
4. Sardines – Sardines contain high levels of both vitamin D and calcium. Try including them in your next pasta or salad dish!
5. Eggs – Although eggs only contain 6% of your daily vitamin D, they’re a quick and easy way to get it. Just don’t opt for egg whites—they may cut calories, but the vitamin D is in the yolk.
6. Salmon – Salmon is known for having plenty of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, but a 3-ounce piece of sockeye salmon contains more than 100% of your vitamin D. Keep in mind, farm raised salmon only has one fourth as much vitamin D as wild caught salmon.
7. Spinach – Many Lactose Intolerant people substitute dairy for spinach! One cup of cooked spinach contains almost 25% of your daily calcium, plus fiber, iron, and vitamin A.
8. Fortified cereal – Cereals like Kashi U Black Currants and Walnuts, Total Whole Grain, and Wheaties—contain up to 25% of your daily vitamin D.
9. Tuna – Tuna is a great source of vitamin D. Three ounces of canned tuna contains 154 IU, or about 39% of your daily dose of the sunshine vitamin.
10. Collard greens – One cup of cooked collards contains more than 25% of your daily calcium.
11. Orange juice – A freshly-squeezed glass of OJ doesn’t contain calcium or vitamin D, but it’s often fortified to contain these nutrients. Try Tropicana’s Calcium + Vitamin D to get a boost of these essentials.
Aside from the 11 foods listed above, prunes and raisins also provide boron and other nutrients that are often insufficient in today’s diet.
The guidelines report that 80% of the US population does not meet daily recommended intake of fruits, 90% fails to meet recommended intake of vegetables and almost 100% fails to meet daily recommended intake of whole grains.
Whole grains are an important source of silicon and silicon is important for bone health. The ingredients in Silical System are designed to help make up for important insufficiencies in the typical diet including silicon and other nutrients.
Please ask your questions to our expert here: https://www.curejoy.com/askaquestion/ , Whatever you post here is strictly confidential and only seen by expert Ayurveda doctors.
Hi can u help my mum is diabetic n She's been given Iron tablets by her Dr She cnt tolerate it Is there holistic way u hav for her thru Ayuveda Ps help
Super foods? Originally it was all written million years ago in Sanskrit. What to eat or not. Today westerns talk about super foods?Very funny!
Kashi products are NOT organic! They just got sued for 5 million. Their products are FDA approved Organic but loaded with GMO's.