For healthy joints, try this simple stretch morning and evening. With feet a little wider than hip width apart and arms by your side, breathe in and out. Stretch up, elongating the spine. With palms facing downwards, raise your arms up slowly and stretch to the sides. Gently rotate your palms. Stretch further. As you stretch, ground your feet into the earth. Breathe in and lower your arms. Relax and repeat.
Healthy joints and mobility are essential at every stage in life. Keeping our joints “well lubed” and fluid provides flexibility, ease of movement, and an overall sense of being comfortable in our bodies.
Eating right for our blood types and regular exercise and stretching are essential to maintain healthy joints. Here’s a simple exercise to do in the morning and evening to begin and end your day. It can take as little as two minutes or you can practice this for as long as you like.
- Stand with your feet a little wider than hip width apart.
- Take a deep breath in and let it out.
- Let your arms rest comfortably at your sides.
- Feel your head, stretching up to the sky, as your spine lengthens.
- Feel spaciousness in your spine, from your coccyx bone (tailbone) through your lower, middle, and upper back, neck, and top of the head.
- Keep reaching through the top of your head, as you slowly raise your arms up, palms facing down.
- Feel your arms stretching and your hands reaching out to the sides and experience the spaciousness of your shoulder joints, your elbows, and your wrists.
- As you keep reaching, gently rotate your hands, palms up, and repeat the stretch.
- Feel the difference from that small rotation and notice where you feel tightness or a release.
- Take a deep breath, rotate your palms facing down, and lower your arms to your side.
- As you keep reaching through your head, lengthening your spine, feel your feet reaching down into the earth.
- Feel the openness of your hip joints, as you stretch your head up to the sky and ground your feet into the earth.
- Take a deep breath and slowly raise your arms to your sides, palms facing down.
- With little movement, stretch your head up to the sky, ground your feet to the earth, and feel your arms reaching to each side.
- Imagine a bubble of white light around you, growing larger as your stretch, incorporating heaven and earth or north and south and east and west.
- Take one more deep breath and stretch as deeply and gently as you can.
- Relax and let your arms return to the sides of your body.
- Take three deep breaths and feel the spaciousness and openness you’ve created in your body.
Guest Post by: Martha D’Adamo, she has been an avid follower of her Type O diet for over three decades. Her interests include Jungian psychology, exercise physiology, martial arts, creative writing and poetry. When not spending time with her husband, Peter, daughters, Claudia and Emily, and walking her two dogs, Wyatt and Charlie, Martha is the President/CEO of North American Pharmacal, Inc.