Saute 1 onion+1/2 c celery (chopped) in 2 tbsp butter. Add 1/2 c flour+1 c each of milk,water. Stir and simmer until thickened. Sprinkle paprika, salt, pepper, to taste. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a baking dish, combine white sauce+2 chicken breasts (cooked, shredded)+2 c cooked quinoa+4 c broccoli florets+1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for 20-25 mins.
This recipe was a big hit in our house! My toddler loves broccoli, chicken, and cheese, so it sounded like this would be a no brainer! My husband said this was definitely a make again recipe, so I hope your family enjoys it as much as we did!
This recipe was modified from the original post over at FlavorMosaic.com. It makes a great freezer meal! You could make this ahead of time into one big 9×13 glass baking pan or two square 8-inch dishes like I did.
When you make this for a freezer meal, prepare everything according to the directions and then freeze before you put the last cheese over the top, as pictured.
Then, seal well and freeze until ready to eat. Pull out of freezer the night before into the refrigerator to let thaw. Top with cheese. Then bake according to directions. If still frozen, allow additional time for baking.
Broccoli Cheddar And Chicken Quinoa Bake [Recipe]
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained (or two cups cooked)
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked, cut into pieces or shredded
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 dish or two square 8-inch dishes with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package. You need two cups of cooked quinoa for this recipe.
- Steam broccoli either in microwave for 2-3 minutes or over the stove.
- In a large skillet add onion, butter, and celery to sauce until onions are translucent and soft.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir.
- Add in one cup of water and one cup of milk, stirring consistently to avoid lumps.
- Add paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to stir and simmer until thickened.
- Combine chicken, quinoa, milk sauce, and 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
- Pour into baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.