Quinoa Breakfast Bowl: Rinse 1.5 c of dry quinoa, tip into a pan with 3 c of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Add 1 c coconut/almond/cashew milk, simmer for 20 mins. Let cool a bit, add and mix 1 c blueberries+1/4 c sliced nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)+2 tbsp hempseed+1 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle a little stevia/maple syrup on top of your quinoa breakfast bowl.
Quinoa is actually a seed, not a grain, plus it contains all the amino acids that make up a protein so it is a great plant protein to add into your menu planning.
Many people who follow a Paleo diet say its okay to eat quinoa because it is a seed. Quinoa is the perfect staple food for vegetarians and vegans and here are some recipes for you to enjoy!!
When I cook quinoa I always rinse it very well as their is a fine dust on the seed that if not rinsed well can make quinoa taste a bit bitter. Be sure to cook extra so you can whip up these quick and easy recipes.
3 Power-Packed Quinoa Bowl Recipes
1. Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup sliced nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
- 2 tbsp hempseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Non dairy milk – coconut, unsweetened almond, or cashew
- If you do not have leftover quinoa, simply rinse quinoa well and add it to a pot with 3 cups water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer with lid on for 20 minutes.
- Let cool a bit and add the rest of the ingredients.
Often times my husband will sprinkle a little stevia or maple syrup on top of his quinoa breakfast bowl.
2. Curried Quinoa With Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Place cauliflower on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and roast in a hot oven at 425F for 25 minutes. You can also roast in foil on the barbeque. Remember to turn cauliflower as you roast it.
- In a large pot put a dab of coconut oil and cook onions for a few minutes. Add in spices and stir around.
- Add in coconut milk, water, and quinoa.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Divide quinoa into bowls and add in arugula and green onions.
3. Thai Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 4 green onions, diced
- Large handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp gluten-free Tamari
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a small bowl mix lime juice, zest, tamari, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic, ginger and seeds.
- In a large bowl toss quinoa, broccoli, snow peas, onion, carrots, cilantro together.
- Pour dressing over top and mix until combined.