Cause of psoriasis can sometimes be unknown, but there are triggers psoriasis sufferers should keep away from. Common known triggers are alcohol intake, sunburns, eating junk food and red meat, exposure to cold, dry weather and excessive stress. Consuming dairy products, citrus fruits and foods that contain gluten are also reasons for psoriasis flaring up.
Curejoy Expert Dipti Mothay Explains:
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that manifests itself as a skin disorder and is generally thought to be a genetic disease which is triggered by environmental factors. It is characterized by itchy, scaly patches of thickened skin. The cause of psoriasis can sometimes be unknown, but there are common triggers psoriasis sufferers should avoid.
Common triggers for Psoriasis flare-up:
– Alcohol – Avoid drinking alcohol as it can act as a trigger for many psoriasis sufferers.
– Sunburn – For psoriasis sufferers, too much sun can cause a major outbreak. While a moderate amount of sun can relieve symptoms in some, sunburn almost certainly means a flare-up.
– Junk foods – Psoriasis is an inflammatory condition. Junk foods tend to be high in saturated and trans fats and refined starches and sugars, all of which can promote inflammation.
– Red meat – Red meats contain a polyunsaturated fat called arachidonic acid. This type of fat can worsen psoriasis symptoms because it can easily be converted into inflammatory compounds.
– Cold, Dry Weather – This type of weather is very bad for psoriasis sufferers. The moisture is stripped from the skin in the bitter cold, and drying heating units only make matters worse.
– Stress – Unfortunately, stress is a big trigger for outbreaks of psoriasis. It’s important to attempt to reduce stress in your life as much as possible. Yoga and meditation practices have shown great success in relieving stress associated with many types of pain.
– Dairy products – Dairy products contain the natural inflammatory arachidonic acid. Also Cow’s contains the protein casein, which has been linked to inflammation.
– Citrus fruits -Sometimes, an allergic reaction can cause psoriasis to flare. Citrus fruits, such as grapefruit, oranges, lemons, and limes, are a common allergen.
– Gluten – Gluten is a protein found in some grass-related grains, including rye, wheat, and barley. Researchers in Portugal found that psoriasis symptoms in some people with gluten sensitivity improved after they avoided gluten in their diets.