Coconut oil is one of the most debated dietary substance for its benefits and hazards. Coconut oil is used in Indian customs since thousands of years. The Coconut oil is in use since the time of Sushruta Samhita, around 2000 years before. But recent Dietary guidelines for Americans categorizes coconut oil as a food to be avoided. In this light,...
Coconut oil is one of the most debated dietary substance for its benefits and hazards. Coconut oil is used in Indian customs since thousands of years. The Coconut oil is in use since the time of Sushruta Samhita, around 2000 years before. But recent Dietary guidelines for Americans categorizes coconut oil as a food to be avoided. In this light, a comprehensive all-inclusive discussion will be helpful to clear the air.
Coconut oil- Ayurveda details –
Coconut and coconut oils are widely used in Ayurveda, in the form of –
- Food ingredient
- For external application
- For internal administration.
Sushruta has described Coconut oil health benefits as follows –
- It is a natural coolant.
- It takes relatively long time to undergo digestion.
- Improves hair quality and strength. Promotes hair growth.
- It is a natural aphrodisiac
- Nourishes the under-nourished body tissues
- Useful in the treatment of certain diseases like emaciation, debility, respiratory conditions, diabetes, urinary system disorders.
- Coconut oil for skin: Quickens wound healing and helps in filling up of skin depression in wounds.
- Calms Vata and Pitta, Supports Kapha.
There are a number of Ayurvedic herbal medicines with coconut oil as base, that are used predominantly externally and also internally for many health conditions.
Example: (Caution: Meant only for information. self medication is dangerous)
- Asana Eladi Kera Tailam (Asana Eladi coconut oil) – useful in the treatment of skin diseases and disorders related to head and ear.
- Chemparuthyadi Keratailam – useful in eczema, and pediatric conditions.
- Dhurdhurapatradi Keratailam – Useful in dandruff, itching and eczema.
- Eladi coconut oil – Useful in skin conditions.
- Karpooradi coconut oil – pains, cramps, rheumatic joint complaints.
- Kayyanyadi coconut oil – Used in the treatment of headache. improves quality of hair.
Contemporary views about coconut oil –
Different views regarding coconut oil –
- Coconut oil is rich in saturated fatty acid, which is bad for heart and cholesterol. Coconut oil is considered under solid fats, and is advised to be replaced with oils wherever possible.
- Coconut oil is a major source of Lauric acid, a fatty acid, which is claimed to benefit in dealing with viruses and bacteria causing diseases such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus.
- Though coconut oil is rich in saturated fatty acid, there is structural difference. It is rich in medium size triglycerides.
- Wikipedia enlists two clinical trials with coconut oil –
- A single-blind randomized controlled trial on children with pneumonia at the Philippine Children’s Medical Center found that coconut oil accelerated the normalization of respiratory rate and resolution of crackles.
- A randomized double-blind clinical trial with 40 women exhibiting obesity found that supplementation with coconut oil promoted a reduction in obesity without causing dyslipidemia.
Coconut oil is good or bad? Discussion and conclusion:
- According to Ayurveda, coconut oil is nourishing in nature, when taken internally. Hence used in emaciation, debility etc.
- Ayurveda also explains coconut oil’s benefits in respiratory condition, which is supported by the clinical trial proving its efficacy in Pneumonia in children.
- Ayurveda hails external use of coconut oil to promote hair growth, wound healing, as natural coolant and in conditions like eczema.
- Coconut oil is processed with medicinal herbs and used in many diseases.
- Convincing research evidence is present to prove that coconut is not really the direct cause for obesity or high cholesterol. In Kerala, a southern state of India, coconut oil is used in almost all the dishes. (My favourite is Banana chips. Must admit, I love it. )If coconut oil was really the cause for obesity, Kerala should have been the abode of obese people, which is not the case
- Having said that, it is not advisable for people with obesity and high cholesterol to include coconut oil in the diet.
- For preparing hair oils, no other base is as good as coconut oil.
- Other uses of coconut oil are – skin moisturizer & softener.
- For a normal healthy individual, coconut oil is very good to be included in regular diet, but in limited quantities.
- Use it in limits and enjoy its benefits.
So, i seriously thinking of switching to coconut oil for outdoor knife maintenance instead of petroleum based oil products. Healthier for food prep.
No it won't. There's no such thing as bad cholesterol. It depends on your body and health whether cholesterol will turn into a good one or a bad one
Coconut oil is very much part of Kerala cuisine.it's believed in southern India that taking slightly warmed coconut milk spiced up with ginger,pepper,cinnamon,palm sugar is good for cold.
Yeah we need more specific details about the bad parts. I don't believe this at all. Any oil if you have too much of it is bad for you.
Excellent information in the link. Thanks so much for that and for all that you share that really helps people! :)
Excellent benefits, it's been used in India for over .... Centuries. Don't be fooled by modern medicine regarding it's medicinal uses.
Er Vivek Vajpayee Please take a read here ==> http://www.curejoy.com/content/remove-dark-spots-naturally/
That's an excellent mask. Also, check your adrenals and liver and gut (leaky gut, candida issues). Internal issues come out in the skin. Coconut oil internally also helps with gut issues. Just a thought to check underlying health issues that could be causing skin issues such as melasma.
Try turmeric powder and a lemon juice make it as a mask for 20 minutes /everyday it'sgood no side effect
Hello, I've black spots on my face How may i get rid of it? Please suggest me any Ayurvedic remedy...
Yes...the truth...my medication was reduced 25 mcgs in about four weeks time taking coconut oils capsules...I took one 1000 mg capsule every evening before bed.
Taking coconut oil allowed my doctor to reduce my thyroid medication 25 mcgs....I will always take it...1000mg a day...
Just got a compliment on how smooth my skin is. They looked confused when I replied that I use coconut oil. Love it for my hair, my body, my heels, as an eye cream, and shave gel.