A bolster is a rectangular shaped pillow filled with air designed to support your neck, legs and spine. For starters, it supports in finding proper form in certain poses. For advanced yogis it helps get deeper into certain yoga poses. Prenatal, Iyengar, Ananda and Kripalu yoga all make heavy use of a yoga bolster. At home rest your neck and back on it to relax and realign.
Are you tired of that constant ache in your neck? Do you get tension headaches, horrible backaches, or other pain along your spine? Are you simply someone who practices yoga to experience it more deeply? If any of these questions sounds like you then you may want to look at getting a yoga bolster.
What Is A Bolster?
Basically, a bolster is a rectangular shaped pillow that is filled with air. It should be sturdy enough to easily support you when you are laying down but it should also be light enough that you can move it easily whenever you need to (usually there is a convenient handle on the top of the bolster so that you can easily pick it up with one hand).
What Does A Bolster Do?
Helps In Some Deep Yoga Poses
- It is designed to mainly provide support for the back, abdomen, legs and spine.
- It can be used to help you to get into some very deep yoga poses, and it is a relaxing way to take your yoga to a deeper level.
- Restorative yoga uses bolsters, but there are many other styles of yoga that rely on this simple yet powerful yoga tool as well. For example, prenatal, Iyengar, Ananda and Kripalu yoga all make heavy use of a yoga bolster.
Helps In Everyday Life
- If your back is feeling “out of whack”, just a few minutes of laying on a bolster can help to relax and realign you.
- Another great use of a bolster is when you have neck tension. Simply laying on the bolster in the correct way will help to stretch your neck out while supporting your back.
A Perfect Tool For You
Another great thing about the bolster is that it is perfect for you no matter where you are in your yoga journey.
- If you are just starting to get into yoga, a bolster can be a great way for you to find proper form in certain poses and to help you to prepare your body for a stronger workout.
- On the other hand if you are more advanced in yoga, then a bolster is a nice way to help you get deeper into certain yoga poses and become more in tune with your body.
It’s no wonder both beginner and advanced yogis love the bolster!