Cook 1 lb of organic whole wheat (or gluten-free or quinoa) pasta in boiling brine until al dente. Rinse with cold water for 2–3 mins in a colander. Drain well. Mix pasta, 1 lb cooked chopped bacon (or low-fat turkey bacon), 4–5 cups arugula, 1 lb cherry tomatoes, and 1/2–3/4 cup dressing (of your choice). Toss to combine all ingredients well. Add dressing only at the time of serving.
I love recipes like this because they are so fast to throw together, they keep for a day or two, and they are fabulous for potlucks or barbecues or other get-togethers. They can be served cold or room temperature. They’re just so versatile!
In this recipe, you can use any kind of lettuce you want, but I thought arugula to be the perfect fit since it’s nice and peppery to bacon’s saltiness.
For a gluten-free version, feel free to use quinoa pasta or your favorite gluten-free pasta instead of whole wheat.
If you want to take the healthy up a notch, you can use turkey bacon instead of real bacon.
BLT Pasta Salad
This is a healthy, tasty, and versatile pasta salad inspired by an american classic comfort food.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
Total time: 17 mins
- 1 lb organic whole wheat pasta (or your favorite gluten-free or quinoa pasta)
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped into bits
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4–5 cups arugula
- 1/2–3/4 cup Italian dressing (according to your taste preference)
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente, according to package directions.
- When pasta is cooked, pour the pasta into a colander and rinse with cold water until pasta is cold, for about 2–3 mins. Drain well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pasta, arugula, tomatoes, bacon, and salad dressing.
- Toss until well combined.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until you are ready to eat.
Note: If you are serving later or taking to a party, wait to add the dressing until you are ready to serve.