Kale salads are all the rage now! Here is a healthier and flavor-packed version of "bagged kale salad" that is low in calories and added sugar.
Kale salads are all the rage now! I know many of my clients and friends have been buying the bagged mixes and think they are absolutely delicious.
Delicious they might be, but though they are made up of mostly kale, the dressing and cranberries make for a high sugar and calorie dense meal or side dish.
Since I personally do enjoy a creamy and sweet kale salad, I decided to re-vamp the bagged version and make it quite a bit healthier.
I have decreased the amount of dried fruit and made the salad dressing recipe much much healthier by using yogurt and reducing the amount of added sugar.
Delicious And Nutritious Kale Salad [Recipe]
Makes About 4 Servings
- 1 bunch kale, leaves chopped fine (bottom part of the stem removed)
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 diced apple
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts or broccoli slaw blend
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
Poppy Seed Dressing
Makes About 12 Servings (2 tbsp each)
- 1/2 onion, very finely diced
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup light canola or olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp sweet vinegar (e.g: raspberry white balsamic, apple cider vinegar, well-aged balsamic)
- 2 tbsp honey or agave
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well (or mix in a blender).
- Mix all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and add dressing to this. Toss and enjoy!
- Serve 1/4 of salad ingredients with 2 tbsp “Poppy Seed Dressing”.
- For a complete meal, add quinoa or farro and a protein such as chicken breast or grilled shrimp.
1/4 salad mix using broccoli slaw blend + 2 tbsp dressing: 190 calories, 7 g fat, 26 g carb (5 g fiber), 8 g protein.