Curejoy Expert Dr.Janardhana Hebbar Explains:
Best Foods To Clear Sinus Congestion:
– Spicy Food: Generally spicy food like pepper, jalapeño, horseradish will release mucus in your nostrils,thus clearing your sinuses. But, if you suffer from acid reflux, avoid spicy foods as they can trigger heartburn. When stomach acid flows back upward, it irritates and inflames your nasal passages, causing them to become swollen and blocked.
– Chicken Soup: It contains an amino acid called cysteine which helps initiates a process that enables breaking down mucus, leading to a runny nose and cleared sinuses.
– Warm Drinks: Tea or other hot drinks moisten your mucus membranes, promoting movement of mucus through your sinuses.
– Foods rich in Zinc, Vitamin A, C and E: Vitamin A is known as membrane conditioner which helps build healthy mucus membranes in the head and throat. Leafy green vegetables, orange and yellow vegetables, tomatoes, fruits are rich sources of vitamin A. Citric fruits like grapefruit, lemon are rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin E is found in nuts, seeds and vegetable oils, while zinc is found in red meat, poultry and seafood.
– Garlic: It releases an enzyme called allicin when crushed. Allicin may destroy bacteria and kill viruses that cause sinus infections.
– Pineapple: It contains bromelain, which has been used for centuries to treat inflammation after surgery, particularly sinus surgery.
– Coconut water: It contains potassium and has bodily cleansing properties.
Worst Foods For Sinus Congestion:
– Caffeine weakens your adrenal glands.
– Fermented foods (Cheese, beer, sauerkraut, wine)
– Fried food
– Starchy foods
– Food containing additives
– Omega 6 fatty acid containing food
– Refined vegetable oils
– Saturated and Trans fat food
– High sugar content food ( soft drinks, desserts, ice cream)
– Cow’s milk
– Refined Carbohydrates (White bread, rice, pastas)