Supplement with fish oil every day (1000 mg fish oil with an antioxidant) to meet your omega 3 needs instead of exposing yourself to toxins by eating salmons, sardines, etc. You may also apply the oil as a moisturizer or anti-wrinkle solution. Fish oil prevents acne, strengthens hair, improves fertility, eases menstrual cramps, heightens feel-good serotonin levels, and trims belly fat.
Did you know that omega 3 deficiency is one of the top 10 causes of death in America?
Yes, I know, there’s a lot of confusion around Omega 3 fats and fish oil in general and that’s why I’ve decided to dig deeper into this very important topic.
I’m going to share 3 surprising benefits of fish oil and why it’s so important to get enough omega 3s in your diet.
All About Balance
The real reason of premature death can be found in an imbalance between omega 6 and omega 3 fats.
Omega 6 fats are not the bad boy here, but if you consume them in a large amount without an adequate amount of omega 3s they can cause inflammation within your body and this inevitably leads to chronic illness and various forms of diseases.
Ticking Time Bomb
The ideal ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 should be 2:1, but if you are on an average western diet your ratio is more likely around 25:1. If you are deficient in omega 3 fats you may struggle with concerning health conditions like asthma, obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, Crohn’s disease and much more.
One of the biggest challenges nowadays is that we’re not getting enough omega 3 fats in our diet, as most of them are found in wild fish like salmons, anchovies, mackerel, and sardines. They are contaminated with toxins and heavy metals and I wouldn’t recommend eating them every day.
Quick Tip: If you eat a lot of fish, make sure you support your liver in the detoxification process to get rid of all the heavy metals. Chlorella, a blue-green algae, has a very high concentration of chlorophyll and aids in the detoxification of our bodies.
To be on the safe side and to make sure you’re keeping a healthy balance between omega 6 and omega 3 fats, it makes sense to supplement them in the form of fish or krill oil.
3 Benefits Of Fish Oil
Both are excellent ways to get your omega 3s in, and in today’s post I’ll share 3 surprising benefits of fish oil.
1. Healthy Skin And Hair
- Fish oil reduces inflammation and moisturizes your skin from the inside out. It prevents wrinkles and works against the aging process.
- Supplementing with fish oil benefits in thicker and stronger hair, reduces skin conditions like acne and eczemas and also reduces aging and sun spots.
2. Vital For Fertility And Pregnancy
- Consumption of fish oil improves fertility in both men and women and is especially important during pregnancy.
- It furthermore balances out our hormones, reduces inflammation and regulates our cycles. If you have PMS, heavy cramps during your period or endometriosis, fish oil helps to reduce the pain and symptoms.
3. Aids Weight Loss And Curbs Mood Swings
- Fish oil has been linked to beneficially reduce fat, especially around your midsection.
- It boosts serotonin levels in your body. Serotonin is the feel good hormone and improves your mood.
How To Take It?
I recommend a minimum of 1000 mg of high-quality fish oil daily. Ideally combined with potent antioxidants like astaxanthin which help stabilize the oil from going rancid.
Omega 3 fats are polyunsaturated fats, which means their heat threshold is very low and they can oxidize easily. Make sure to keep your fish oil in a dark container in the fridge and consume it within 40 days.
Choosing The Right Oil
This is the tricky part, with loads of different fish oil products in the markets, which one is the right (and safe) one to take, right?
IFOS – the International Fish Oil Standards Program is the only third party testing and certification program for fish oils. IFOS sets the world’s highest standards for purity, potency and freshness and I trust them fully. Before purchasing, check your product there to be on the safer side.
Do you have any experiences with supplementing with fish oil? If yes, could you feel a difference? I’d LOVE to hear your thoughts in the comments below!