Baby carrots are made using the larger crooked or deformed carrots. Chlorine which is a renowned carcinogen is what is used while processing baby carrot into a final product. Exposure to Chlorine has been linked to several health problems including sore throat, coughing, eye and skin irritation, rapid breathing, pain in the lung region and asthma.
Whenever you see a small and evenly shaped baby carrots being sold in the stores with those conspicuous packaging and labels, won’t you get tempted to buy them? But the question is should you buy it or not?
Baby carrots also called small cocktail carrots are not naturally grown like regular carrots. If you are not aware of this, these are made using the larger crooked or deformed carrots. They are put through a machine which cuts and shapes them into cocktail carrots. Most people probably know this already.
Why Baby Carrots are bad for Your Health?
One of the most esteemed carcinogenic chemical – Chlorine which is also widely used to keep the swimming pools clean is what is used while processing baby carrot into a final product.
Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots, they lose their protective cover. Therefore, they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them. Chlorine is a highly toxic, yellow-green gas most heavily used in chemical agents like household cleaners and can be found in the air near industrial areas especially around paper processing plants.
How can you see the chlorine in the baby carrots?
If you put these baby carrots inside the refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots, this is the chlorine which resurfaces. However, some disagree with the same.
The contrary belief
Dr. Joe Schwarcz, professor of chemistry at McGill University reportedly said that none of this is harmful to your health. He explains that the whole point of washing vegetables with chlorinated water is to protect consumers’ health by reducing bacteria that could cause food-borne illnesses.
Since Chlorine is a pesticide, and its purpose is to kill living organisms, if you ingest it, it kills some parts of our body like the healthy bacteria in your gut and intestinal flora for instance.
Exposure to Chlorine has been linked to several health problems including sore throat, coughing, eye and skin irritation, rapid breathing, pain in the lung region, narrowing of the bronchi, wheezing, blue coloring of the skin, accumulation of fluid in the lungs, severe eye and skin burns, lung collapse, and asthma.
Edited By: Vivek Chhetri
Are you going to stop drinking water too? Because tap water is treated with chlorine.
As a halogen, chlorine is a highly efficient disinfectant, and is added to public water supplies to kill disease-causing pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, and protozoans, that commonly grow in water supply reservoirs, on the walls of water mains and in storage tanks.
Not that I agree we should ingest it but come on people.....educate yourselves.
Nothing is good anymore. I'm moving back to my country where everything is taken freshly from the trees and ground.
Every immature food is ultimately have bad effects on health. As it lakes nutrient and may contain harmful organic compounds which need time to turn into beneficial nutrients .Immature food can only be used as for its prescribed medicinal properties ( if there are any ). Other wise always use full rip mature fruit vegetables to obtain their full nutrients. Although full ripe veggies are less crispy and may feel less tasty. But do not compromise on health.
Buy them at the market , peel them , cut in pieces and put on a glass Tupperware. Avoid this pre made veggies
Why are they bad because they created by deformed carrots and rinsed in chlorine which is a pesticide and can cause damage to your body parts. Think of the size of them for one and then about the chemical. Easy right? Don't eat them eat whole organic carrots, juice them they are so good for you.
Guess what I brought to work for lunch. \U0001f61e\U0001f623\U0001f625 Please stop poisoning us! Where is the FDA?!
Thank you for the article!! The fully grown are far more tastier and also more economical so why bother with titchy tasteless, force designer carrots !!
What about the organic ones?? Are they treated with chorine?? If so, How come they still labeled as organic.
Baby shaped but they are left overs of broken or cut out of big ones they sell them again also when they shave them the other pieces are juice carrot, I buy whole ones
So much for such beautiful. Inspiring. Words I'm very Sure that u were. The one writing. Such ,nonsense. Article,once again it's my personal. Opinion.sorry, the last. Time I checked. This is free country.,i'm. Entire. To my own. Personal opinion.mom just like everyone. Else that post. Whatever. The he'll. They feel. Like saying.,thanks spool much for your feedback \U0001f436\U0001f436\U0001f436
Pls give a break,what it's. Good. Or bad for our bodies,what are we as humans. Can eat today or tomorrow. With out poison the. Our body,that is according.,to this All"nonsense articles That people continuously Writing. About ,I eat everything. That I like Of course. Moderation. Is the key For living a healthy. Life ,like always said live your life to the fullest,you own. Nothing to one except. God ,you as person as an adult know. What is good for your health,and. For your mind\U0001f604\U0001f603\U0001f617\U0001f60a
whose labels include Cal-Organic, uses a chlorine solution on all its carrots – organic and non-organic -- to prevent food poisoning, before a final wash in water.