Here is an aesthetically-pleasing, colorful meal that is chock-full of antioxidant-rich foods including sweet potatoes, purple cauliflower and chickpeas.
I love sweet potatoes! They are a good source of fiber and an excellent source of the antioxidant, beta-carotene.
Pairing sweet potatoes with other antioxidant-rich foods not only creates an aesthetically-pleasing, colorful meal, but it also boasts some serious nutrition.
For this recipe, I chose to use purple cauliflower for the added antioxidant benefits of anthocyanins (also responsible for making this veggie purple!). Believe it or not, garbanzo beans also contain some antioxidants in the form of phytonutrients (natural plant chemicals that may provide some health benefit).
These beans contain the flavonoids quercetin, kaempferol, and myricetin which are all phytonutrients and manganese which is a trace mineral and an antioxidant. There are some seriously nutritious foods in this recipe!
Baked Cauliflower And Sweet Potatoes [Recipe]
These “Antioxidant Loaded Sweet Potatoes” can be made many different ways. I have shared 2 pictures here, but feel free to get creative. All you need is:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 head of purple cauliflower
- 1/2 can of garbanzo beans (a.k.a. chickpeas)
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- A pinch of garlic powder
- Pepper, to taste
- Vegan cheese slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and pierce sweet potato with a fork several times.
- Once oven is preheated, you will want to bake your sweet potato for 40-50 min (pro tip: to cut down on this time, microwave your sweet potato for 4 minutes first, then you will only have to bake it for 10-15 minutes), or until you can easily pierce it with a fork.
- While potato is baking, break cauliflower into florets.
- Lightly grease baking sheet (I use coconut oil spray), and add cauliflower to oven for 20 minutes.
- While potato and cauliflower are baking, add drained and rinsed garbanzo beans to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add soy sauce and dry seasonings to beans and stir in pan to evenly coat.
- Cook garbanzo beans until they begin browning and crackling.
- If you want to add veg-cheese to this dish, I recommend compiling your sweet potato and cauliflower in whatever way you like on baking sheet, then layering slices of cheese on top and broiling for 2-5 minutes (note: this step is optional), add chickpeas to top after melting cheese.
- Once everything is done, you can combine them however you prefer, I have provided some pictures that show 2 different ways.