Aamla or Indian Gooseberry (Latin name: Emblica officinalis) is found extensively in India in the form of two varieties. One is hard, small in size and found in forests; while the other type is softer, bigger in size, more fleshy and is cultivated. Ancient Ayurveda text mentions that special properties of rejuvenation and revitalizing of the entire body systems lie...
Amla benefits our body through natural healing properties. Amla or Indian Gooseberry (Latin name: Emblica officinalis) is found extensively in India in the form of two varieties. One is hard, small in size and found in forests; while the other type is softer, bigger in size, more fleshy and is cultivated. Ancient Ayurveda text mentions that special properties of rejuvenation and revitalizing of the entire body systems lie in the fruit of Amla.
Natural Properties of Amla
Amla is sour in taste, cold and heavy in nature and has a sweet after taste. Chemically, the fruit of Amla is full of citric acid. Therefore, it is said to contain the best and the largest amount of vitamin C extracted from nature. Other than this, it contains a good amount of calcium and minerals like iron and phosphorous in nominal amounts. Some other important ingredients are albumin, cellulose, fiber, carbohydrate, sugar and water.
[Read: Amla for Weight loss]
Dosha Healing Benefits of Amla Fruit
Ayurveda believes that the fruit of Amla helps to reduce all the three doshas or the body humors viz. Vata, Pitta and Kapha; which when aggravated above their normal limits cause a disease. This is because of the varied properties it holds. Amla is sour in taste and therefore helps in decreasing Vata dosha or the air body humor. Due to it being cold in nature, calming and soothing in action and having a sweet after taste, it decreases the fire or the Pitta Dosha. And the rough nature of Amla is helpful in reducing kapha or phlegm inside the body.
Health Benefits of Amla:
The fruit of Amla is found to be mainly useful in decreasing the heat as per its natural properties. Therefore, its most extensive use has been seen in the treatment of the diseases associated with increased body heat. For example; it proves quite useful in ailments like burning sensation in eyes and in soles of the feet, increased thirst; or when there is immature graying of the hair due to excessive heat inside the body.
Medicinal Usages of Amla:
- During the summers, the most often symptoms due to the elevated external heat can be relieved. Burning sensation of the skin and any headaches associated with a heat stroke can be relieved by the applying a paste made of Amla in milk.
- The juice extracted from the fresh fruit is put in the eyes for curing the burning and inflammation; and for the longevity of eyesight.
- For the digestion disorders like acidity, loss of hunger and hemorrhoids; the use of Amla in the form of medicines as well as diet is quite beneficial.
- Fresh juice of Amla is given on an empty stomach in disorders like Diabetes and urinary incontinence.
- Some preparations like Amla Murraba (sweet jelly) can be taken for long periods as a tonic to do away mental and physical fatigue.
- The powder of dried Amla taken with honey twice in a day is a good cure for cough.
- For immature graying and falling of the hair, try washing the hair alternately with the powder.
I sell a powerfull liquid nutritional with amalaki and other ayurvedic herbs endorsed by the chopra center. It is distributed in USA, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, New Zeland, and other countries. My e-mail for more information email@example.com
This is the huge storage of Vitamin C . I take daily in this winter season. But Ayurveda.. Can you suggest me that how many gram should be take in a day and in how many ways or forms? Pls. :-)
it is true that amla can reduce body fat and increase muscle mass??
and is amla and nellika is the same thing?
Amla is rich source of vitamin C.It has many medicinal properties and if consumed regularly has proven as an antidote for many disease.So we should have amla juice to drink in early morning with empty stomach but after having the amla juice with in 30 minutes eat something or else you may face acidity problem