Lemons, scientifically known as Citrus limon, are more commonly known as the fruit that evokes images of sunshine and the sweet smiles of children standing roadside at their homemade lemonade stands. Lemons are oval in shape and feature a yellow, texturized outer peel. Like other citrus fruits, their inner flesh is encased in segments, with the average lemon having eight to ten.
While most lemons are tart, acidic and astringent, they are also surprisingly refreshing. The two main types of sour lemons are the Eureka and the Lisbon. One notable example is the Meyer lemon that is becoming more popular in both markets and restaurants.
Lemons were originally developed as a cross between the lime and the citron and are thought to have originated in China or India, having been cultivated in these regions for about 2,500 years. The Ancient Egyptians believed that eating lemons and drinking lemon juice was an effective protection against a variety of poisons. Like many other fruits and vegetables, lemons were brought to the Americas by Christopher Columbus in his second voyage to the New World in 1493, and have been grown in Florida since the 16th century.
Lemons, like other vitamin-C rich fruits, were highly prized by the miners and developers during the California Gold Rush in the mid-19th century, since they were used to protect against the development of scurvy.
28 Astonishing Benefits Of Tangy Lemon:
- Weight Loss Expert: Pectin, soluble fiber found in lemons, helps you feel fuller and slows rate of glucose or sugar absorption, thus preventing blood sugar spikes, common to Type 2 Diabetes. A natural diuretic, it helps the body flush out excess water weight, so less bloating and puffiness.
- Skin Exfoliater: Lemons contain citric acid or vitamin C, which acts as a natural exfoliant to scrub off dead skin cells, enhance skin renewal, and brighten dark areas. A refreshing Lemon foot soak will take care of rough, scaly or calloused feet and toes.
- Oral Care: The proven antibacterial and antiviral properties of lemons, can accelerate the healing process in the case of cankers, provide relief from bad breath, toothache, bleeding gums, and keep bacteria that causes gum disease at bay. Also helps whiten teeth.
- Detoxifies Liver: Lemon juice is a mild diuretic, a wonderful stimulant to the liver, and a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons, and it liquefies the bile. Detoxify your liver with a glass of lemon-water each morning.
- Regulates High Blood Pressure: Pectin helps lower cholesterol while vitamin P (bioflavinoids), prevents internal hemorrhage by strengthening the blood vessels. Lemons are also rich in potassium which helps prevent high blood pressure.
- Healing Hypertension: Garlic and onions, in combination with lemon, have proved to be effective in the fight against hypertension.
- For Dandruff: Combine lemon juice with other natural ingredients, like coconut oil, to make a hair mask that heals and moisturizes your dry scalp, leaving you dandruff-free.
- For Fever and Chills: Lemon juice can help break fever and chills by naturally increasing the rate of perspiration. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and flavonoids that work against infections like flu and colds, sore throat and tonsillitis.
- Anti Aging: Vitamin C, aids in collagen and elastin production, facilitating the skin to repair these connective tissues, eliminating fine lines and wrinkles, for supple radiant skin.
- Acne Cure: Lemon juice is a natural antibacterial treatment for acne, blackheads and eczema. Not only will this ease the infection, it will counter the overwhelming urge to scratch.
- Pain Reliever: Lemon essential oils relax blood vessels and reduce inflammation in cases of sore joints due to arthritis, rheumatism or other inflammatory diseases, and pain associated with sunburns and premenstrual syndrome.
- Salt Substitute: Your taste buds get a similar sensation from sour flavors as they do salty flavors, which make lemon juice one of the best salt substitutes out there.
- PH Balancer: Although lemons are indeed acidic, the nutrient content found in lemons is alkaline-forming, helping to restore the body’s pH balance.
- Relieves Indigestion and Constipation: Their bacteria-fighting properties destroy bad bacteria and allow good bacteria to flourish in the body, which relieves indigestion and constipation.
- Kills Parasites: Parasites and intestinal worms love acidic environments. One of the fastest ways to make your intestines alkaline and kill off pesky parasites is to ingest a lemon or its juice.
- Concentration Booster: Lemon balm essential oil, due to its calming effect, increases your concentration and alertness.
- Lighten Varicose Veins: Lemon oil has vessel-strengthening properties that can help fight varicose and spider veins. A massage, with Lemon oil and other essential oils, on the affected area, on a regular basis will slowly make the unsightly varicose veins disappear.
- Stress Buster: Lemon balm essential oil has a calming effect helping remove fatigue, exhaustion, dizziness, anxiety, nervousness, tension, while increasing concentration levels.
- Cure Corns and Calluses: Lemon poultices applied overnight are a good home remedy for corns and calluses. Dabbing the affected area with lemon essential oil also helps accelerate the healing process.
- For Bug Bite: Once the stinger is out of the skin, massage 1 to 2 drops of lemon oil, mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey, into the skin around the bite.
- For Insomnia: Lemon balm combined with other calming herbs (such as valerian, hops, and chamomile) helps brighten mood, reduce anxiety and promote sleep.
- For Scurvy: A condition caused by deficiency of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), Scurvy, is treated by giving one to two ounces of lemon juice, diluted with water every two to four hours.
- Stone Dissolver: The citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
- Brain Tonic: The lemon peel contains the potent phytonutrient Tangeretin, which has been proven to be effective for brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease.
- Oxygen Source: Fresh lemon juice helps adjust oxygen and calcium levels by regulating the carbohydrate levels which affect blood oxygen levels. When there is insufficient oxygen and difficulty in breathing (such as when mountain climbing), lemons are very helpful.
- Anti bacterial: Lemons have powerful antibacterial properties; studies have found that the juice of lemons destroys the bacteria of malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other deadly diseases.
- For Vision: Eye disorders, including diabetic retinopathy, have been shown in research to improve due to the rutin, found in lemons.
- Anti- Carcinogen: Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer compounds, including naturally occurring limonene; oil which slows or halts the growth of cancer tumors and flavonol glycosides which stop cell division in cancer cells.
Side Effects and Precautions:
- Contains Oxalates: The peels of lemons and limes are among a small number of foods that contain measurable amounts of oxalates. If oxalates become too concentrated in body fluids, they crystallize and cause health problems. For this reason, individuals with already existing and untreated kidney or gallbladder problems may want to avoid eating lemon or lime peels.
- Contains Wax Coatings: Conventionally grown lemons may be waxed to protect them from bruising during shipping. Plant, insect, animal or petroleum-based waxes may be used. Carnauba palm is the most common plant-source wax. Since you may not be able to determine the source of these waxes, this is another good reason to choose organically grown lemons and limes.
- Can Aggravate Heartburn symptoms: If you suffer from heartburn or have a citrus allergy consult your doctor before using these remedies or drinking lemon juice.
- Can Cause damage To Tooth Enamel: To protect your teeth enamel, wait at least half an hour before brushing your teeth after chewing, drinking or rinsing with lemon juice.
I'm in love with lemons\U0001f34b\U0001f496 using them In so many things lately, including at this moment I'm making Kale Lemon soup \U0001f607
Used in finger bowl by people who drink artificial flavored drinks.. Call themselves Extremely Civilized.