The almond that we think of as a nut is technically the seed of the fruit of the almond tree, a glorious medium-size tree that bears fragrant pink and white flowers. Like its cousins, the peach, cherry and apricot trees, the almond tree bears fruits with stone-like seeds (or pits) within. The seed of the almond fruit is what we refer to as the almond nut.
Almonds are off-white in color, covered by a thin brownish skin, and encased in a hard shell. Almonds are classified into two categories: sweet (Prunus amygdalu var. dulcis) and bitter (Prunus amygdalu var. amara).
Sweet almonds are the type that is eaten. They are oval in shape, usually malleable in texture and wonderfully buttery in taste. They are available in the market either still in their shell or with their shell removed. Shelled almonds are available whole, sliced or slivered in either their natural form, with their skin, or blanched, with their skin removed.
Health Benefits of Almonds
- Almonds contain monounsaturated fats and some polyunsaturated fats and hence they help to lower the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or the bad cholesterol, while maintaining healthy high-density lipoproteins or good cholesterol levels.
- Almonds have great health benefits in terms of healthy skin. Almonds prevent premature appearance of wrinkles, black heads, pimples and dry skin as well. A regular massage with almond oil will help you to get a glowing and flawless complexion.
- Almond oil is also used to treat black circles around the eyes, since almond oil helps to re-vitalize the fatigues cells and improve the blood flow.
- Almond oil is extremely useful for treating all sorts of hair problems as well. Almond oil helps as a cure for treating hair-fall, dandruff and avoids untimely graying of hair as well.
- Almonds have an extremely high nutritive value since they contain copper, iron and vitamins and are hence used as a remedy for anemia.
- Almonds are also beneficial in treatment of constipation since they increase the fiber content of the food as well.
- Almonds are also used in the pharmaceutical industry. Sweet almond oil is used as a carrier for injectable drugs, which deteriorate in water-based carriers.
- Almonds decrease the after-meal rises in blood sugar and are hence help in maintaining a healthy blood sugar level.
- Almonds also have antioxidant properties and are hence very beneficial for the health.
- Almond oil is also considered as one of the most popular choice of massage oils, which rejuvenates the body and replenishes the skin. It is also known to relieve the stress.
- Babies who have lactose intolerance, can be given a mixture of powdered almonds mixed with warm water, which provides as much if not more nutrition as milk.
- Almonds contain Alpha-tocopherol, which is a major source of Vitamin E and is hence really great for healthy hair and skin.
- Almonds also increase the blood flow to the vital organs and are also used as aphrodisiacs.
- Almonds provide nutrients that help to increase the bone mineral density, just like Kiwi Fruit, which helps to strengthen the skeletal system. Owing to this it can also be considered as a remedy to cope up with osteoporosis in the elderly.
- Aromatherapy also makes use of sweet almond oil, which is one of the essential oils in aromatherapy and is frequently used as carrier oil.
- Almond oil also possesses laxative properties and helps to produce soft stools and avoid any other problems of the digestive system
Love almonds, if I am really hungry and have nothing good to eat I grab a handful of Almonds and it does the trick. Try to carry so e in a Baggie with me when I am out and about.
Also contain magnesium for the brain. One of the best food items to eat. They do have a lot of calories, perhaps don't eat 1/2 big bag as I do!
DIDN'T know that they were seeds. HAPPY they are not hard like peach pits. Would never have eaten them.
for removing dryness and get a glowing face , took ahand fuul of almonds ,one rose ,some mint leafs ,powder milk ,a little bit of apple cider vineget, honey ,grind this engrediant untill creemy . apply this creem as a night creem.
I love almonds 1/4 cup curves appetite and source of good protein! Blue Diamond Almonds has blueberry flavor mmmmmm mmmmm!! I've only seen them at 7 Eleven stores so far! #RawaretheBEST
California's almond industry uses 1.1 trillion gallons of water per year, a staggering amount of water that thirsty Californians could better use elsewhere...almonds DO have their drawbacks.
Too bad we have no watter in ca. And for profit of ag over grow almonds and export most of them. It is only slightly less absurd than eating thirstier BEEF or destroying environment... and H20 by Fracking. We need to look at the big picture of "Health" not just our personal needs.
Ashwani Sharma Please take a read here ==> http://www.curejoy.com/content/can-give-simple-homemade-remedy-mouth-ulcer/